Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #1 
We're heading east of the mountains today to go to the Gorge in George.  The Gorge Ampitheater, to see Jack Johnson, G Love & Special Sauce and
Z avi, with the wife,kids and dogs.  First off, I know that the only thing that Jack Johnson and JJ might have in common are the initals, play guitar, and come from some pretty cool parts of the world....ok maybe that's more than one common fact.  When we saw JJ at the Silver Platters store, I made the coment to JJ that I believed that he and the band had the talent, style, sound to be regarded or played as much by the powers that be, that Jack Johnson and even John Mayer get played, hell in my book JJ and the boys are better.  But, they could atleast, atleast.....atleast grab the attention, minds and hearts that those other two muscians do, and I believe do it with a helluva lot more soul and impact.  I did not mean to offend him or the fans, but from the point of a front man in a band, guitar player and more, he's got atleast what the oter guys do, but they just don't get the airtime of mass attention.  Anyways, the ticket were free.....we took part in a local beach clean up in the neighborhood last weekend, got up early, walked down the street, registered, got our bags, loaded them up with trash, and got our tickets.  Hell, it was a good easy way get out out of town, on the heels of our anniversary, see some music, spend the night, head to Yakima, see some relatives, go to the fair, and then come home.  Funny thing is or are, that two gals in line at Silver Platters, who were all a buzz about JJ, were telling us about G-Love & Special Sauce....(who in the hell are these cats?) The other thing was that while we were getting in line for the beach clean up, and afterwards, there was a local DJ, from the station promoting the event, and he is Marty Reimer, the guy my brother called years ago to tell/announce to the world that Curt Cobain had killed himself.  My brother worked for the electrical contractor that was doing work at Cobain's house on Lk. Washington, when the electrician got to the house, called back to the shop, and told them what he had found, and my brother had the wherewhithall, to call the station that Marty worked at(he also lived in our neighborhood) and told him of Cobain's deal.  At first Maty was in doubt, because they heard this stuff before, but my brother told him to call SPD, and see if there was a report or dispatch, Marty did so, verified my brother's info, asked my brother if he wanted to go on the radio, (which my brother declined), but Marty still took care of my brother by giving him tickets to see Pink Floyd, for being a dedicated listner, and considering Riemer and the station he worked at first for the inside scoop.  It was all quoted the next day in the Seattle Times, as to how Reimer got an annonymous phone call from a listner......  Marty was pleasantly surprised, and told me that he always wondered how the guy was that called him that day....he told me to tell my brother..Keith, hello and thanks.  Well, just alittle rock n roll history for y'all. 

Anyways, good or bad, hopefully some live music will ease some of the pain from last week. The reason being, a week ago Thursday the 22nd, as I drove into work, about five cars ahead of me were two co-workers, one on his Harley, and the other just behind him.  As we turned from the light, and proceeded on this street, just a 100 feet or so from the intersection, the guy on the Harley gets hit by a guy pulling out of this gas station, the other co worker is right behind,witnesses it happen, the car takes off..hit and run, the biker is down, and the other co-worker follows the run away car, gets a plate number, as this is going on I pulled over to render some help, and after discovering it is Ross Johnson, 61 year old guy, bus mechanic....really nice guy, I hang around to comfort him, make some calls, wait for police and and fire, get him loaded up and off to the hospital.  I talked with his lady friend on the phone after he was able to call her, leave a meesage as to his situation....where they were taking him...all of that.  Ross's injuries were found to be a broken ankle, broken ribs, and some issues with his shoulder.  He went home from the hospital the next day. On Monday, at work after much discussion about Ross, I get back into my work loacation, to find out from co-workers, that sadly, Ross had died on Sunday from  an embolisim, pulmanary, that affected his lungs, heart, and brain severly.  A shock to everyone. And still no word if the car and driver involved had been caught. He was nothing short a true gentleman, great guy to work with, and very, very intelligent, what a very nice guy.  It makes you think about life very hard, and it reminds you that nothing is for sure, and we should work harder at alot of things, being food to others is just one.  Anyways, my apologies for bearing such sad news to y'all about a guy you don't even know.  Maybe this weekend and some music will shed some brightness on a bit of darkness, and some time with family and friends will be a good thing.

Take care

tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Richard,

Saw that show in West Palm with my wife last month. Jack does a nice job. I always enjoy G Love, though. Another "good guy" in the biz. If you check out JJ's hat for the Snook Foundation on Will Conner's site, adventurehats.com, you will see G Love's hat that benefits malaria cures in Africa. Same deal, Will donates all of the $ for the cause.

Enjoy the show, don't tailgait too hard during G Love's set.

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #3 
Just got back from our weekend in Central/Eastern Washington. By the time we got the kids unloaded, and some of the chairs,blankets, food, and kids packing with Cathy, out of the parking lot and into the venue, I was left to handle the two roaod traveling hounds....George and Gracie, the disc catchin' Heeler/Labs.  they had been in the van most of the afternoon and iinto the early evening, so I had to burn off some of their energy, throwing them some discs, while I could hear G-Love playing off in the distance.  They sounded worthy of seeing and giving them the time but all I could do was enjoy what I could not see.  Once into the Gorge Ampitheater, I met up with Cathy, our boys, and our friend Chris, who went to the show in a round about way with her daughter, and friends.  We sat way up on the top of the bowl, at the edge, where we did a couple of years ago to see Tom Petty and Steve Winwood. Back then, Petty played loud, yet clear, and it was like sitting in your friend's yard with one kick ass stereo system playing.  Jack Johnson's show on the other hand, was a bit quieter.....no much quieter, and and it almost begged to be turned up, which it seemed like the sound guys did turn it up a bit......but not enough.

Now I like Jack Johnson, well some of his stuff/music, but what I learned on Satuardaynight, was this, man it better have some funk to it, some soul, and some guts to it, cause otherwise.....stay home people.  I know that Jack's thing is to be laid back, smile , play to the beach, sand, and surfin' crowd, all in the name of havin' fun, with some bits of reality to it, but after a while, it was all sounding the same, kinda like a big loop.  He's got the appeal, and there is some sort of connect to his loyal fans, but I found myself feeling a bit glad that I did not pay for those 4 tickets, because it took a bit of work to get me to feel any groove.  It was just different, and what I realiz is that when I see some live music, it better reach out and grab me.  I was thinking that our boys here with their swampfunk band, culd paly the Gorge and tear it up, and it is too bad that they don't have the luxury that a Jack Johnson or someone else might have, but man it would sound great and be a great visual to have the Columbia River in the background as the sun sets.......
but it would also be hard to see these guys from a far and not get into the fray of things during their show.  Musically, JJ Grey and Mofro, can handle themselves all over the map when it comes to their songs, the lyrics, the compositin, hell and let us not forget their range, not only on the notes, but their story telling too.  I leaned over to Cathy and told her during the show.."These poor folks don't even have a clue sato what they  are missing
But hell, if they all find out......I'll lose my place in line.
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #4 
I do like Jack Johnson's music, but I like the ability to turn it off when it does start to loop like Richard said.  I have always thought that I wouldn't enjoy him live, unless I just wanted to veg on a blanket and star at the clouds or the  night sky.  G Love has some funkier songs if you will and I think you would have enjoyed him more than Jack Johnson. 
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #5 
The Gorge is one of my all time favorite venues, they don't call it Heaven's Amphitheatre for nothing!
I like Jack Johnson in small doses, he has  a tendency to put me in an uber chill mood that borders on inducing  a coma-like state  but I sure do love me some G. Love; could be because Garrett Dutton III is a hometown boy! When you grow up in Philly Cold Beverage is a Friday night anthem!!
I've always thought G. would be a fun guest on Junior, he and JJ could tear up on the harmonica!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter