Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Horse34

Reply with quote  #1 
I just started trying to play the harmonica. I know it'll take some time, but you don't progress without pushing forward. This is the only place I have ever seen JJ Grey harp tabs. I'm sure it's well over my head at this point, but could you (Mr. harp tab creator) be so kind as to tab out something on JJ's Georgia Warhorse harp solo ? My band covers this song and our harp player just "moved on". I'd like to eventually be able to do the harp solo myself. 

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #2 

I'll see what I can come up with...

I haven't messed around with Harp Tabs nearly as much as I should be lately, but I do recall playing along with GW when the album came out.

First of all, the song is in the key of A, so you will need a D Harp to play it in Cross Harp.

Luckily for you that JJ doesn't bend or overblow much so just learning any of his stuff isn't as hard as others can be.  He plays alot like Sonny Terry which plays alot off of held notes and warbles. 

If you are messing around with it already, make sure you learn the basics of blues harp and playing cross harp or you will be lost for quite some time when just knowing what notes to draw and blow for certaqin aspects of a song or solo.  If I find the diagram that I use for it I'll post it up here so you can see what I am talking about.

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
thefollower

Reply with quote  #3 
I started playing about a year ago and have gotten so much better.  You are right it is frustrating but bare with it.  I tried learning the tabs at first but found it easier for me to play it by ear and know the harp better.  The biggest two things for me that you need to do or learn is how to bend a note and get use to sliding up and down the harp.  That is basically what made me better.  Also carry it with you everywhere you go, its a great instrument to have on a road trip cause you can play to anything you listen to.  I once heard the harp is useless if you don't play something so play SOMETHING... Its the only way you will learn.  Try some youtube videos that helped me a little as well.  Good luck
Horse34

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the insight. If anyone has anything else, I'm all .....eye's, lol. I'll take any tips I can get.

Reply with quote  #5 
Also practice playing lying on your back, this helps you learn to use your diaphragm instead of only your lungs.  Also youtube stuff like beginner harmonica or blues harmonica.  Watch em closely and listen.
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollower
Also practice playing lying on your back, this helps you learn to use your diaphragm instead of only your lungs.  Also youtube stuff like beginner harmonica or blues harmonica.  Watch em closely and listen.

Yup great advice follower.  That also helps to learn how to bend notes better by learning to utilize your diaphragm.  Learning how to bend is the hardest part about playing the Harmonica, but it's even harder when you only use your lungs.  Getting that out of the way early makes it much easier to bend notes and bend them on cue. 

Also, for the youtube stuff, you might wanna check out Ronnie Shellist.  I used his stuff a bunch when I started to play harp.  He has alot of good free stuff out there and then a website where you can purchase even more instructional stuff.  He is an amazing harp player and just as amazing instructor.  Definitely worth a look. 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter