Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
With the weather gettin' colder (and believe me, it's getting there in Northern MN), my mind turns to soups & stews... so here's a couple recipes that I grew up eating.
Now Mojakka isn't a traditional Finnish food, but it's traditional among the Finns who settled in Minnesota. I would assume some other parts of the USA as well, but I don't know for sure. These are my 3 favorite ways to make it. 1st is my Great Grandma's traditional recipe, the second is my Aunt's spin on it... more of a stew than the traditional. The 3rd is a recipe I found in a cookbook. It's a fish version, which I didn't get to eat often as a kid, but when we did, it was something special. 

Traditional Finnish Mojakka (MOY-a-kah)

Ingredients

• 3 pounds boneless beef roast
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 whole allspice
  • 3 whole peppercorn (optional)
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup rutabgaga
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 4 potatoes, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

1.      In a large pot over medium high heat, brown the meat on all sides in the butter or margarine. Add 4 cups of the water and bring to a boil. Add the onion, salt and ground black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour.

2.      Add the carrots, celery and potatoes and simmer for another 1 1/2 hours. Then combine the flour and remaining 1/2 cup water in a separate small bowl, forming a thin paste. Add this to the soup, stirring well and simmer for 15 more minutes.

My Aunt’s Version…. A bit thicker

1 ¼ lb. beef sirloin tip                         2 T oil

4 ½ c. water                                        3 whole allspice

3 whole peppercorn                             1 c. carrots

1 c. rutabaga                                        1 c. onion

1 c celery                                             3 c potatoes

Brown meat, add water, onion, celery and spices. Cook 1 hour. Add carrots first, cook, then add rutabaga, cook, then potatoes. Cook until tender.

Reino's Kalamojakka

2 lb Fresh or frozen salmon (Northern also works great)
1 1/4 tb Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
2 Bay leaves
6 Whole allspice
4 md Potatoes
2 md Carrots
3 sm Onions, divided
1 c Red cabbage, sliced
1 Handful fresh celery leaves, chopped
5 sl Bacon
1 1/2 tb Butter
1 c Celery, diced fine
1 qt Water
1 qt Milk
1 tb Butter

Use any cut salmon or steelhead, leaving skin on. In 1 quart water, with salt and pepper, simmer on low heat in 5- or 6-quart pot. When skin comes off easily, set aside on plate and remove skin and bones. Cut or break into 1- and 2-inch pieces.

In liquid stock, place bay leaves and whole allspice. Add potatoes, cut in 1- or 1 1/2-inch pieces; carrots, cut lengthwise and into half circles about 1/4-inch thick; and 2 onions cubed coarsely (not chopped fine). Cook over low heat.

After a short while, add celery leaves. Stir. Cook until carrots are almost tender and potatoes don't disintegrate.

While this is cooking, dice bacon and cook in fry pan over low heat. Pour almost all fat off. Add butter (or margarine) and diced celery, remaining onion (diced fine). Saute' until onions are yellow.

Now back to your pot. Add salmon pieces, (they should be not quite cooked). From now on everything is simmered on low to preserve body. Add 1 quart water. Put in stuff from fry pan. Stir in milk a cup at a time. Add butter and let whole bit simmer for at least one hour. Serve with tossed salad and a crusty bread. Can be frozen.

Makes 6 servings.

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

the one with salmon appeals to me!  although I am curious about a rutabegga, cain't says I never did have one ..... I like the idea of using alot of root veggies!  I love roasted parsnips!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #3 
you definitely should try the rutabegga.... One thing my Grandpa always made sure was in the graden. I'd pull it outta the ground and we'd rinse off most of the dirt then cut slices off and eat 'em that way. But cooked, they'r much better, to be honest. Just make sure they have plenty o' time to soften up. They ain't the softest veggie.
Parsnips.... mmmmmmmm... yummy. Now I have to get some. Thanks Sunny!

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Arabian Knights

Reply with quote  #4 
We were too piss poor to afford that expensive beef roast. I was in my 20s before I could afford that.

When I was 14 I started cooking for the family and made mojakka in Sudbury Ontario. I boiled beef neck bones, scraped off every bit of meat and added veggies. It was pretty darned good then and is still now. Beef roast? In your dreams.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter