Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey y'all. I just picked up a couple of cd's (yes, I still buy them... you can't beat reading liner notes and holding something in your hands...mp3's just don't cut it) by two of my favorite singer/songwriters... which got me to thinking. Other than JJ, of course, who are your favorite singer/songwriters? Here's my Top

1. Jason Isbell (former Drive-by Trucker...as good as his songs with DBT's are, his solo stuff is even more awesome)
2. Matraca Berg (country girl, writes some deep stuff lyrically, and I can't think of one of her songs I don't like)
3. John Hiatt (need I say more?)
4. Patterson Hood (Drive-by Truckers)
4a. Mike Cooley (Drive-by Truckers)
6. Sarah McLachlan (such a dreamlike quality...)
7. Stevie Nicks (I'm still in love with that woman...named my oldest daughter after 2 of her songs)
8. Neil Peart (Ok, some of Rush's old stuff was flat out weird, but anything after Moving Pictures is great!)
9-11. Johnny, Donnie & Ronnie Van Zant (Skynyrd, Van Zant, .38 Special... fun stuff)

And I'm sure if I thought really hard about it, I'd come up with a few more...

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
helix77

Reply with quote  #2 
In no particular order.

Waters, Gilmour, Barrett - Pink Floyd
Gordie Downey - Tragically Hip
Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy
Lennon, McCartney
Frank Zappa
JJ Cale
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Johnny Cash
Jim Morrison - Doors 
Steve Earle
Don Henley
Peter Gabriel
Van Morrison
John Prine
Freddy Mercury - Queen
Bob Seger
David Wilcox
Bon Scott - AC/DC

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #3 
As helix77 did before me, here's my list in no particular order.....

Bruce Springsteen
Pete Townsend (a brilliant and twisted mind who wrote some of the angriest music ever. It wasn't until I was about 22 that I realized that the Squeeze Box the Who is referring to was NOT an accordian!)
Paul Simon (has written some of the most beautifully poetic songs, steeped in imagery and symbolism. Geek that I am, I will come right out and admit that not only do I LOVE Simon & Garfunkel, I know EVERY song they ever recorded)
Bob Dylan (I recently poured over his back catalogue and was mesmerized once again by the genius of this man!)
Neil Young
Freddie Mercury
David Bowie
Carol King
John Lennon (to this day I choke up everytime I hear In My Life)
Brian Wilson
Van Morrison (Astral Weeks......enough said!)
Peter Gabriel
Eric Clapton
Eddie Vedder (nobody does angst the way this guy does!)
Stevie Wonder
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Prince
Sam Cooke
Bob Marley
Paul Hewitt (Bono)
Roger Waters/David Gilmour
Otis Redding
John Fogerty
Robert Plant/Jimmy Page
Frank Zappa
Jimi Hendrix
Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Don Henley/Glenn Fry
Billy Joel (1970's)
Jackson Brown
Cat Stevens
Leonard Cohen (other people sing his songs better, but he goes on any greatest songwriters list if not for Hallelujah alone!)
Tracy Chapman
Chrissie Hynde (because she is one cool ass bitch!)
Bo Didley
Dave Matthews (because his music was the soundtrack of my 20's)
Dolly Parton (don't Laugh, she is a great songwriter!)
Ani DiFranco

Okay, I'll stop now otherwise I could go on for pages and pages!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #4 

Page and Plant, Zeppelin, enuf said... 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #5 
Giggles - GREAT list and backatcha on Simon & Garkfunel.  December 21, 2003, I saw them in Atlanta.  Never thought I would see them perform together and it was a great experience!

My favorites in no particular order:

Paul Simon (mostly the S&G catalog)
Lennon/McCartney
Ryan Adams
Jimmy Buffett
Don Henley/Glenn Fry
Gordon Lightfoot
Will Kimbrough
J.J. Grey

When I think singer/songwriter - I think of someone who writes a song, can play it solo on guitar or piano, and still makes you want to listen without a lot of show.

Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #6 

Slick - I'm with you also on buying CDs.  I just downloaded my second full length CD.  That's right - only two.  I'd much rather have a physical copy of something than a bunch of ones and zeros on my hard drive.

That being said - is the day of buying CDs coming to an end?  I sure hope not, but I bet with this iCloud and stuff like that coming out, we are going that direction.  Heck, I miss buying albums, with the big art and liner notes.....I don't miss the pops and skippin' though.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #7 

I am here to say that I have never downloaded any cds.  I agree with slick and swampcracka (love your avatar btw!)

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Cracka
Giggles - GREAT list and backatcha on Simon & Garkfunel.  December 21, 2003, I saw them in Atlanta.  Never thought I would see them perform together and it was a great experience!

Swamp Cracka, I am blessed to be born of a Hippie mother who thought it only natural to expose her young children to the beauty and joy of music. My mom carted myself and my 2 younger siblings up to NYC to see the EPIC Concert in Central Park; to this day even thinking about it makes my skin break out in goosebumps. I sure do love me some Simon & Garfunkel.......

Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #9 

Good gravy Giggles. You were at the EPIC CONCERT of all time?  Wow.  I know I've listened to it 1000 times, but I would have broken out in hives when they launched into "America".  How many people were there?  I've heard crazy numbers.

giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #10 

I was 10 or so when my mom took us out of school to see this concert and I remember at first I was TERRORFIED by the sea of people surrounding me but once the music started, I was instantly soothed. Supposedly there were 500,000 people there, I am not sure how accurate that figure is but all I know is that there were people as far as the eye could see.

Swamp Cracka

Reply with quote  #11 

That is what I've heard too - 500,000 people.  I've seen the pictures of the crowd and it is amazing.  I think if I had been there, that would have been a top 10 life event for me.  I hope I have the opportunity to take my daughter to something like that when she is old even to remember.  And I hope it's not a boy band or pop princess show.

TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #12 

Other than JJ....

Jason Isbell
Mike Cooley
Patterson Hood
Todd Snider
Dylan Leblanc
Neil Young
Hayes Carll
Justin Townes Earle
Joe Pug

Reply with quote  #13 
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check it out, back to back cracka's

Reply with quote  #14 

Jim Croce

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter