Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
3nail

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings Mofro fanatics! I would love to get to know you more. If you're on Facebook, send me a friend request & tell me your forum name. I am Kristy Garrett Nail.

My favorite JJ moment was at the Lexington show last fall (2010) at The Roxy. I was standing at the front of the stage. JJ was singing Lochloosa directly in front of me. He was actually looking down at me as he sang (I like to say he was singing to me, but I'm not that presumptious...just a dreamer!). I was singing along with my hands in the air. JJ grabs my hand & holds it for a few seconds and left his guitar pick in my hand. OMG OMG OMG I was in heaven!!!! I was lucky enough to be recording the whole thing on my phone, and of course, I still have the pick. The only drawback is me screaming on the video. I couldn't hold back my excitement!!! Meeting & hanging out with JJ after the Nashville show on March 26 was AMAZING, too. We took several pictures with him. He was so kind and laid back; he stood there & talked to us for quite awhile. My last fave moment wasn't an actual encounter with JJ. I was driving to the Chattanooga show last Friday by myself (hubby couldn't go). My brother died in a horrific auto accident in Knoxville that also claimed a family of 6 lives. I had to drive past the wreck site, and I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the emotions I was about to feel. As I passed, JJ's lyrics spoke to me in a way I've never felt before. The song was Know More, & it was at the end when he says, "I finally understand. It can't be understood". The accident happened in Jan. '04, and I've never been at peace with it; never understood why. Those 7 words gave me more peace & understanding than all the things I've been told or read. Thank you, JJ, for creating such meaningful, soul searching, resolve. You are a gift to your fans. A priceless gift that we have the privilege of soaking in, & if we're lucky, understanding! Long Live JJ Grey & Mofro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to have MANY more memorable times before this is all said and done.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nail
Greetings Mofro fanatics! I would love to get to know you more. If you're on Facebook, send me a friend request & tell me your forum name. I am Kristy Garrett Nail.

My favorite JJ moment was at the Lexington show last fall (2010) at The Roxy. I was standing at the front of the stage. JJ was singing Lochloosa directly in front of me. He was actually looking down at me as he sang (I like to say he was singing to me, but I'm not that presumptious...just a dreamer!). I was singing along with my hands in the air. JJ grabs my hand & holds it for a few seconds and left his guitar pick in my hand. OMG OMG OMG I was in heaven!!!! I was lucky enough to be recording the whole thing on my phone, and of course, I still have the pick. The only drawback is me screaming on the video. I couldn't hold back my excitement!!! Meeting & hanging out with JJ after the Nashville show on March 26 was AMAZING, too. We took several pictures with him. He was so kind and laid back; he stood there & talked to us for quite awhile. My last fave moment wasn't an actual encounter with JJ. I was driving to the Chattanooga show last Friday by myself (hubby couldn't go). My brother died in a horrific auto accident in Knoxville that also claimed a family of 6 lives. I had to drive past the wreck site, and I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the emotions I was about to feel. As I passed, JJ's lyrics spoke to me in a way I've never felt before. The song was Know More, & it was at the end when he says, "I finally understand. It can't be understood". The accident happened in Jan. '04, and I've never been at peace with it; never understood why. Those 7 words gave me more peace & understanding than all the things I've been told or read. Thank you, JJ, for creating such meaningful, soul searching, resolve. You are a gift to your fans. A priceless gift that we have the privilege of soaking in, & if we're lucky, understanding! Long Live JJ Grey & Mofro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to have MANY more memorable times before this is all said and done.

what a great thread to start Kristy!!  I will have to give this a hard think!!

so sorry to hear of the loss of your brother, and also very happy that you have finally found peace within.  Amazing how JJ relates to awl of us and we can all find comfort in his music.

I will post my favs.....

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #3 

Forgot to say how cool it must have been for JJ to grab your hands and then to give you a geetar pick!!!!  I would make a necklace out of it!!  Lil Mofro Ho did that and it turned out very nice!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #4 

My fav moments with JJ ……….

First of all, I must say that any encounter with this man is just purely amazing in itself. The comfort level and happiness he feels is just radiated from his soul and it can’t help but be felt when you are talking with him and seen when he smiles, the twinkle in his eyes, y’all know what I am talking about, I know you dew.

My first encounter ever with JJ was before an Exit/In show and I saw him standing in line, holding his #10 card to pick up his supper at a little hippie joint next to the venue.  And found myself approaching him and without even realizing it had started a conversation with him.  I walked away thinking “OMG I just had a conversation with JJ Grey!!”  Don’t quite know what I said, but Gregg said I was calm and collected and did good, lol.  That was in 2007 and before I knew to bring my camera along.  Since then, I have had many conversations with JJ and the OMG it JJ!, has kinda worn off and now I almost feel like it is running into an old friend, and as we know, that is how he makes us feel.

The first picture I (and mys sister Eva) ever had taken with JJ, at the Orange Peel in Febuary of 2008

Back in the day when JJ played the keys, that would be my spot, up front and standing at the piano, as at that time, quite a bit of his time would be on the keys.  Here is a clip of Lochloosa with JJ on the keys. Keep in mind to not turn it up as my little camera sound recordings are not the greatest.  LOVED JJ on the keys!  This is from The Variety Playhouse 10-2008.

I prepared a full BBQ spread for the boys when they came to the Orange Peel (3-28-09).  I feel they deserve a home cooked meal, being on the road so much. And during the song “Ho Cake”, I got a shout out from JJ ~ I flipped out!  He said, and I quote, “I’d like to thank awl ya awl for coming down here tonight ….... I’d like to thank Silence of the Hams for bringing down the BBQ, that’s what this whole song is about man, the best, best baked beans ever, I loved em, and it was transmitted to me by a serious food critic who I know is right, they’re spicey ……”  and then he went into the last verse of the song. I was lucky enough to have Chris bring me backstage after the show and I was able to hang with JJ and Simmone for a bit.  They thanked me again for the vittles, I was in heaven!! Got a setlist signed by everyone!  I was so gosh darn excited that I didn’t even noticed Simmone was 9 months pregnant, and I even gave her a hug!!!  Got her autograph too!!

Having my children meet JJ was awesome!!  He even signed each of their shirts.  This was at the Greenville Festival show in October of 2009.

Last year at the Bijou in Knoxville, I was to deliver Chris a goodie bag as a thank you for all the hard work he does.  I had called his cell and he said to look for the bus and just knock, so that I did.  He invited my buddy Dan and me onto the bus and we obliged.  He invited us to sit down and JJ was hanging on the bus as well.  Chris ended up opening a bottle of wine and we sat there and chatted for over an hour and a half.  It was pretty amazing.  JJ was telling stories of when he was a youngin.  Dennis came on the bus and hung out too. I was able to give JJ some white acre peas that I had brought for him that we grew in our garden.  I dried them so they could last longer.  I told him that Gregg planted them for me and my love of the song “Ho Cake”.  He said he would let his Granny cook them as he can’t boil water.  He signed a picture that Sawyer drew when he was 5

and also signed a page in my book of some of my food photography, the page of with my Ho Cakes and a little blurb about JJ Grey. I will never forget that encounter.  Dan and I still reminisce about it. Here is a photo taken after that show

We saw Mofro two days later at the Orange Peel. After all that talk about food and such with JJ and Chris on the bus in Knoxville, during “Ho Cake”  JJ made his way over to where I was dancing in my own special way and just a shaking my head and I looked up and JJ was pointing his finger and me just a singing and a smiling!!  Gregg can verify that moment as it took me by surprise and I had to see if anyone else saw it and both he and my sister Eva were witness.  Cool!! A real memory and not just one I made up in my head, LOL!

Oh and the time we all hung out in my backyard and out of know where, JJ just pulled out his harp and started with “Pray for Rain” …… wow, that was amazing as we sat around the camp far for 2 hrs and everyone was singing along, it was just like a dream, oh, wait, never mind, that is my dream, hadn’t happened …………. Yet,    hee hee.

As 3nail said, I would also love to hear of your encounters/moments with JJ.

Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #5 
     Well, I am going to give this a try.  Hope I don't bore any of you.

My JJ Faves

I wasn't yet a "crazy" fan at my first Mofro show at Skipper's, 2009.  But,
my 2nd and 3rd shows at the Windjammer, June, 2009 were a memory I will
never forget.  We were first in line and right up front both nights.  I took "100"
pictures, setlists from both nights (that was back when setlists weren't con-
sidered "gold" but they were precious gold to me); also got a pick and A.C.'s
"flying" drumstick.  Afterward, we took pictures with JJ - no line!!  What a
difference two years makes.  We also just happen to catch a sound check.
This was definitely a weekend to remember as it was my first experience
as a "REAL FAN"!!
     At the Ritz, Ybor City,  Sept. 2009, we were standing out front and here
comes JJ over to talk to us (he remembered us from WJ).  I had my camera
in my pocket, but I was so in awe that I couldn't even think and MISSED a
picture.  We also talked to Anthony and AC.  That's when we knew they were
just good ole boys and down to earth and VERY approachable. 
       Another highlight was at the HOB, Orlando, Sept.,2009.  We were
coming back from Planet Hollywood and there stood JJ at the side of HOB.
We got our picture with him, our tickets signed and a pick "all" before the
show started.  JJ reached into his pocket and said "here, I won't be able to give
you a pick inside."  Thus, the beginning of my pick "collection".  
     Again, in 2010 at WJ, we, by chance, caught the band at the sound check
and JJ signed Coolbreeze's DirtFloorCracker hat.  The hat was the hit of the
weekend even being written about in the Charleston City Paper.  JJ wore it
Fri. nite when he sang DFC and Sat. nite during Stagger Lee.  My highlight
of the weekend (besides two awesome shows) was when JJ took time to look
through my MOFRO album and signed some pictures and pages.
     Windjammer, 2011 - I have gotten both setlists and a pick from all three
years.
     I agree with Sunshine - all moments with JJ and the band are special and
memorable times, but we truly will never forget our experience of our FIRST
SOLO SHOW at the Bamboo Room.  We LOVED it.
     My fave moments are few but sweet.  We have ONLY been to 15 shows
but looking forward to many more "Faves".
     And, I must thank my hubby for turning me on to JJ Grey & Mofro.  He
never could have imagined what all this would become.  I even have a
Scrapbook/JJ "room".  Getting quite a collection of memorabilia .
     LOVE OUR BOYS!!               Very truly Mofro,   donna

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter Day
     Well, I am going to give this a try.  Hope I don't bore any of you.

My JJ Faves

I wasn't yet a "crazy" fan at my first Mofro show at Skipper's, 2009.  But,
my 2nd and 3rd shows at the Windjammer, June, 2009 were a memory I will
never forget.  We were first in line and right up front both nights.  I took "100"
pictures, setlists from both nights (that was back when setlists weren't con-
sidered "gold" but they were precious gold to me); also got a pick and A.C.'s
"flying" drumstick. WAY TOO COOL!!!!  Afterward, we took pictures with JJ - no line!!  What a
difference two years makes.  We also just happen to catch a sound check.
This was definitely a weekend to remember as it was my first experience
as a "REAL FAN"!!
     At the Ritz, Ybor City,  Sept. 2009, we were standing out front and here
comes JJ over to talk to us (he remembered us from WJ). IS THAT NOT BEYOND A GREAT FEELING WHEN HE REMEMBERS YOU!?!!  I had my camera
in my pocket, but I was so in awe that I couldn't even think and MISSED a
picture.  We also talked to Anthony and AC.  That's when we knew they were
just good ole boys and down to earth and VERY approachable. 
       Another highlight was at the HOB, Orlando, Sept.,2009.  We were
coming back from Planet Hollywood and there stood JJ at the side of HOB.
We got our picture with him, our tickets signed and a pick "all" before the
show started.  JJ reached into his pocket and said "here, I won't be able to give
you a pick inside." WOW, VERY AMAZING AND I WANT A PICK COLLECTION!  I HAVE ONE, JUST A ONE  Thus, the beginning of my pick "collection".  
     Again, in 2010 at WJ, we, by chance, caught the band at the sound check
and JJ signed Coolbreeze's DirtFloorCracker hat.  The hat was the hit of the
weekend even being written about in the Charleston City Paper.  JJ wore it
Fri. nite when he sang DFC and Sat. nite during Stagger Lee.  My highlight
of the weekend (besides two awesome shows) was when JJ took time to look
through my MOFRO album and signed some pictures and pages. NEXT TIME OUR PATHS ARE DESTINED TO CROSS, I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO BRING YOUR MOFRO ALBUM!!!!!! I WANNA SEE IT!!
     Windjammer, 2011 - I have gotten both setlists and a pick from all three
years.
     I agree with Sunshine - all moments with JJ and the band are special and
memorable times, but we truly will never forget our experience of our FIRST
SOLO SHOW at the Bamboo Room.  We LOVED it.
     My fave moments are few but sweet.  We have ONLY been to 15 shows
but looking forward to many more "Faves".
     And, I must thank my hubby for turning me on to JJ Grey & Mofro.  He
never could have imagined what all this would become.  I even have a
Scrapbook/JJ "room".  Getting quite a collection of memorabilia .
     LOVE OUR BOYS!!               Very truly Mofro,   donna

3nail

Reply with quote  #7 
I love these stories & thanks for sharing. I hope to have many more stories in the future, starting with Lexington next Thursday. Love the idea about making the pick into a necklace. I think I will do that!
princessrayray

Reply with quote  #8 
I love it!  Sunshine, who ended up with the setlist from the Handlebar that night?  I wish now that I'd have thought to snag it!  I'd love to have a setlist, OR a pick!  Gah!!  Lucky dogs!!    But, I'm still a newbie...and lots more shows to catch!

My first show was at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta in January this year.  I was hooked and my obsession began!  After the show, my boyfriend practically drug me out the back door before the lights came on, and we stood around by the tourbus getting everyone's autographs and chatting with the guys.  My BF was in heaven, chatting with Todd, because he's a huge Derek Trucks fan also. 
It was FREEZING cold and I was afraid we'd missed JJ somehow and then AC told us that he was still inside, overseeing the breakdown and would be coming out really soon.  I was a little shy, I mean, I'm not used to hanging out by a tourbus, asking for autographs, and so my BF asked JJ if he minded taking a picture with me, since it was my first show.  He said, I absolutely don't mind at all, and then stood there and talked to me like I was a long lost friend and made sure I'd enjoyed the show!  It was awesome!  I learned that night that Todd grew up and still has family in the town I live in and I thought man, it IS a small world!

Fast forward a few months, until after we'd seen them at the Handlebar.  I was in Publix, waiting at the deli counter and just looked over at a guy that was getting a sub sandwhich made.  I thought to myself, he looks familiar...  He got his sandwhich and walked away and as he rounded the corner it hit me...that's Todd Smallie!   I immediately pulled out my phone and texted the BF that Todd was shopping in the Publix less than a 1/4 mile from my house!!  I didn't see him again in the store, but I think that was the most awesome un-encounter I've ever had!!!  And now, I tend to look around more closely at people as I'm shopping!  LOL!!

♪♫ I just want to feel like I do when I'm with you, It's a beautiful world.
The darkness, it ain't so deep, So I reach and I reach and I reach, Higher, Set me free ♫♪
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #9 
Don't have any cool moments like all of ya'll have. Every time I meet him it's so cool.
musiclovinmom

Reply with quote  #10 

What great stories - I have none that could even come close to all of yours.  The times RFR and I have talked with JJ he has always been very friendly.  Chris has also been very friendly to us at different shows, as a matter of fact the only setlist I have is thanks to Chris!!  We always seem to meet up with A/C hanging out before or after the shows.  The first time we met Firefly and Antsy Ashley they were hanging out with AC in a bar in Baltimore .

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter