Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
ChrisCornell

Reply with quote  #1 
So as y'all know, my favorite artists are basically Ben Harper, Chris Cornell (obv), Myles Kennedy, Dave Matthews, JJ, and Ian Thornley. Most of these guys have HUGE followings. I've always felt that JJ Grey and Thornley were the most underrated of the bunch. So as always, I was over in the Thornley arena tooting JJ's horn and one of the my friends there listed to GW. Its fun to see a non-fan's appreciation. So courtesy of "Hiltsy" on the Thornley message board, what they thought of Georgia Warhorse--->

"This record's really got it all! We've got great grooves on so many of the tracks including Beautiful World, and Hide and Seek. You'll taste many different flavours as you make your way through these tunes. My head was bobbin and foot was tappin right from the beginning of Diyo Dayo (a fave btw). Slow, Hot, Sweaty is exactly what it says. Georgia Warhorse - do you like gordie Johnson? Give this one a listen. Unique guitar and some sweet harmonica action. King Hummingbird is kind of a Floydesque number - think Wish You Were Here. The Sweetest Thing...Kind of a put it on, turn it up and put the pedal down kind of a tune.

Overall, you'll hear some really cool tunes on this album. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I turned it on. Clearly some talented musicians, and an old-school gravelly bluesy jazzy vocal."
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:

I totally agree with Sunshine on this one... always cool to see people react when they aren't familiar with the music! I've been spreading the Mofro around to friends, family, co-workers as much as I can. Just can't keep it to myself, you know?

(And y'all had to know there was a butt monkey comin', so here it is)

BUT...

CC's post led me to thinkin' earlier... around the same time, I got to listening to the entire album on the stream Clay had posted. Honestly, I love the whole record! But one song does "scare" me a bit, and CC's bud noted it right off the bat. Beautiful World... is an INCREDIBLE tune. Well written (big shock), awesome meoldy, the whole nine yards. But as I listened to it, I couldn't help but think... I can hear this on stations X,Y,Z, etc. here in town... stations that wouldn't otherwise play Mofro. It is pure Mofro, yet somehow has this "commercial" feel to it that I haven't felt in any other song as strongly.  I can see it being the song that pushes this album to sales that the band hasn't seen before.
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see the boys get their just desserts! They totally deserve every bit of success that they get. But my fear would be that this could be the stepping stone that leads them to playing larger venues, possibly opening for bigger acts, and pulling them away from venues like Windjammer, Varsity, Workplay, Freebird, etc. as well as some of the festivals.  From a totally selfish point of view, I'd hate to see it... After having dicovered this incredible music just about a year ago, I'd hate for US to lose the intimacy that JJ & the boys have had with us (most of you for WAAAAAY longer than I can imagine). If you can't tell, I'm torn between wanting the best for them and the selfish part of not wanting too much, if that makes sense?

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
ChrisCornell

Reply with quote  #4 
Slick, I SO hear you about that.

This same thing happened with Myles Kennedy and Ben Harper. I remember when neither was that well known. I saw Ben Harper at a small theater in Albany. I was second row, tickets were like $25. Amazing show. Two years later, he was opening for DMB at Giants Stadium and my nose was bleeding. lol.

I remember playing Alter Bridge for some of my neighbors and they were like "eh". One neighbor even told me that he found Myles Kennedy's voice annoying.
Then Slash (of Guns fame) picked Myles to be his lead singer on the most recent tour. Starlight was on the CD

And people are starting to notice Myles. I had an indifferent feel about it. I was happy about the expanded exposure but Myles was no longer "my" secret treasure.
Its def. a mixed emotion.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
For sure guys. As you can imagine with 2 1/2 years and going strong we've had chatter on the forum about this very subject. It's like showing up at your secret fishing hole and finding a boatload of people there or having a secret picnic spot you take your sweetie to and there's a boy scout troop there.

Something tells me that this record is going to be the one that introduces JJ to a mass audience. Hard to say how that'll affect the shows/venues in the future. I hope it happens for JJ cause he's worked really hard for all these years and he's due!
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 
CC thanks for sharing what they said on the Thornley forum. That's very cool to hear.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #7 

I'd be lying though if I didn't admit that I'll miss the guys playing in the places they play now. Wish there was a way to have it all!

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #8 

agree with y'all ........... but JJ does LOVE the intimate venues.  go with the flow, force vs power..........enjoy what you have while you have it.........no one knows the future. 

this cd could be THE ONE, but only time will tell.

that is why since they found me have I tried to travel anywhere within 4-5 hrs to see them (would be further if the babysitter factor was not there).  Incredible band, incredible crew, lovin every minute I have with them during the shows, after the shows, taking it awl in.  

someday it will happen .........

it's the little things, little things, not expectations that make life worth living.................worth living. 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
FireFly

Reply with quote  #9 
this is a very interesting thread, ah, lets see, some bands try to go the route of opening for a larger act, like grace did opening for mule, plus she's been doing the late-night show curcuit, not sure if that helped her and her band ,the nocturnals, get bigger, but maybe all that experience might have made her stronger. saw them close out floyd fest and they were ROCKIN, huge sound, she can def not play smaller venues anymore, like I saw her at chicken box in nantucket with a handful of people. when we left the windjammers after mofro, her tourbus rolled in(they played 2 nights after) , and I was thinking, jeez, her sound is too big for that joint.

I saw robert randolph a bunch of times few years back, and man , was I blown away, than he went to open for clapton . don't know if that got him more fans.

I like dave too but I think he would be more amazing in a smaller setting. him and tim reynolds alone are amazing. but now he plays this big arenas, and people go to the show to than yap away about their day, he goes into 'crash' and everybody pays attention for a second. sometimes its a certain song that can catapult it into higher gear. but than again warren hayneds came out for cortez the killer, something about that mans voice makes people listen.

I have been watching anders osborne for years and I never really paid too much attention to him but when I went to see him a couple of weeks ago and he came out fuckin rockin out , going hendrix crazy on the guitar, I did a doubletake, shit, that shit rocked me OUT! guess he just found his sound.

so i don't know what could happen to jj and his sound and his band. I wonder about it often when I watch him. could he mesmerize a huge crowd at red rocks? i mean he likes to connect with crowd a lot, can that be done with 20000 fans?yeah , i've seen that too, but that means the band needs a huge sound, it means a whole diff stage attitude, he can't be drinking shitloads of  makers, sing the wrong lyrics and curse a bunch, which is what a lot of his fans miss about his old shows.( I sw him once and don't know what was with him but he was in rare form, he introduced dennis as anthony and than said, heck , they all look the same anyways,LOL)

so what do WE want for this man? I want for him whatever he wants, at least the get in a better palce where maybe he can fly to gigs, not have to travel endless hours in a tourbus with coffin sized sleeping accommodations. I want for him to be able to make more money, so if his songs catch on and the venues get bigger, I guess I will deal with it as a fan. I think he could def get a notch bigger in venues, that relies on ticketsales I assume

do I believe this record is the "one"? why this one? great songs on the others too. blackwater is a great tune of the first one. I don't think jj writes songs to be "the" song, he just writes them, like he said somewhere that he could never thought lochloosa would be such a huge thing, he just wrote about missing his home, sittin on cold rainy england, and here it is, people LOVe that song.
so maybe there's a song on GW that will turn into something bigger.

I def agree with beautiful world, awesome tune, and I would like to know what uhollis meant when he said that we might not hear this song, which he would give me an explanation instead of just throwing it out there, but I guess he had his reasons.
 if I had to speculate , maybe some royalty issues,etc BS. but than again wouldn't they have to take it off the record? whatever it is I hope his people figure it out cuz THAT would be a shame!

and here I will give you my own personal opinion, and this is just me but when I see jj solo , sometimes I think it would be enough, just him and maybe one more acoustic guitar. when it comes down to it , its jj, his voice, his stories ,his warmth and all. he had people get outta there chairs in NYC. it doesn't take the whole band.
 ya think that him and his band alone are going to take him to that next level ya'll talking about ? it gonna have to be something different or a hit on the radio or else maybe?

p.s. I saw g.love open for ben harper at the roseland ballroom like 10 years ago, whatta show, holy shit!

and more PS>coffee and donuts anyone?

when I'm with you,
it's a beautiful world .."
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 

huh?

gracyjj

Reply with quote  #11 
hhhhhmmmm...... intrestante. you know, this is a good point. On one hand, of course, I wish the best for the band, the music, and their success. I really love and connect with the music. On the other hand,  if this excels them into larger venues, I don't think I would end up going to as many live shows- which kinda sucks. I would probably, just rely on live recordings and a show once in a blue moon. 
I really have to admit, DMB is my favorite band. The majority of my music collection consists of their recordings, but I feel it's because I grew up here in VA- they've always been my hometown band. I've always loved Charlottesville, it's a special place, and Richmond was a buzz with these hole in the wall spots to catch these great musicians.They are such a tight band, they have really stuck together and you can feel it in their music. Matthews might write the songs, but it's the vibe of the whole band that resonates strongest.  I still go to their shows and I love every minute of it (you think I go crazy at a mofro show, catch me at a DMB show). However, I can not compare DMB to Mofro, and I don't try to. They're different roots, different musicians, different sound. I'll be honest in saying that they are my big venue band, the majority of the other shows that I go to are all at smaller venues and a few festivals. If JJ begins to divide his touring schedule a little more with larger band venues and smaller solo venues, then I would definitely make the effort to catch a few solo shows. But as we all know, change is the nature of the game, and survival is how well one can adapt to a situation, you gotta be a Georgia Warhorse. As Musicians, I'm sure JJ and the band are resilient and will be successful, and as a fan base I'm sure all of us out there will embrace everything they have to offer in order to make them successful. 

ps.... listening to some dmb at the moment and getting gitty for no reason.... I have this sneaking suspicion that things here are not as they seem....  hehehe love it!!!!

Reply with quote  #12 
Great thread people!
I too would be curious to know why we might not hear Beautiful World much more.  Aside from the first 3 seconds, haven't heard any sampling or similarities that jump out.  Yah that means you Kid Rock & Sheryl.

Blackwater & Lochloosa were Part I, Country Ghetto was a transition, Orange Blossoms & Georgia Warhorse are Part III.  (Funny how that seems to fit despite at least one tune on GW being an oldie.) I love the latter two, think GW is crazy strong, but Blackwater is what got me hooked.

I def see GW as being more accessible than previous albums, which usually screams BAD to me, but I'm not so sure; in this case the music is still great.  And that's all that matters.

Whatever success they have in the future - well-deserved & s' long as they're happy, that's all I can hope for for peeps I admire.  S'long as they play festivals & clubs where you don't need a seat I'll be happy.  Bonnaroo, Coachella & 1500 or less SRO clubs make it  impossible for me to spend $50+ for parking my ass in a seat inside some building w/ 20 000 of my closest friends! 

parts

Reply with quote  #13 
One more thing, as far as niche bands that rock, but haven't fully exploded on the scene.  Other bands I love: Michael Franti & Spearhead, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Matisyahu...they all seem to, like JJ, be about the music THEY want to make rather than adjusting to $ell $ell $ell.  Sure once in a while they tag along with a bigger band but thankfully way more often than not you can catch them at a smallish club or an outdoor festival.  I highly doubt JJ & crew are all going to get $200 haircuts & overproduce their next album.  I'm still in shock over seeing Kings of Leon @ Bonnaroo in '07 & what I heard on their next album.  I had to doublecheck I hadn't misheard the name of the band playing the song, and when I saw their new look??!!

Warning: the above comment is from someone who has only been lucky enough to catch the band live a handful of times, unlike some of you who are used to a regular dose of seeing your homie all chilled in a familiar hometown setting, so I do get where you're coming from.  We all hate to give up our secrets, but sometimes a pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled.  Usually the best ones.

gracyjj

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by parts
.  Other bands I love: Michael Franti & Spearhead, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Matisyahu...

Oh.... I like you   

Reply with quote  #15 

ok I kinda hated when ya'lll do this "re-quote" thing but I'm gonna have to use it myself this time, cuz this made me laugh

this is funny parts,love it:
""Warning: the above comment is from someone who has only been lucky enough to catch the band live a handful of times, unlike some of you who are used to a regular dose of seeing your homie all chilled in a familiar hometown setting,""

(shit, i don't even know how to do it,lol)

when I'm with you,
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #16 
"I highly doubt JJ & crew are all going to get $200 haircuts & overproduce their next album."
Amen to that brother!
ChrisCornell

Reply with quote  #17 
I hear y'all on this. I'm a HUGE Dave Matthews fan but I will ONLY see him and Tim in concert these days. The shows are TOO big. I saw him at Giants Stadium and he literally was an "ant marching". Even at the smaller MSG, its too damn crowded. Won't go.

It's funny. Those of you who were at the City Winery probably met my friend, Eric. He's an older guy who likes Sinatra and Dean Martin - that's it. So on the way in, I'm trying to explain to him who JJ is. I'm like- he's played with the Allman Brothers. And I even played that awesome version of "Stoned Me" with JJ. He's like "I kinda like it". So after the show, he's texting our other friends who he just saw. And obv. no one had a clue.

Then my neighbor is a HUGE fan of Toots b/c of the True Love collaboration CD. (Def check it out if you've never heard it- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Love_(Toots_%26_the_Maytals_album)
And the "Sweetest Thing" turned him on to JJ.

My best friend in Boston is always trying to top me with new "rare" bands. Its rare that he gets to a band first but I do give him credit for showing me "Mumford & Sons".
So I sent him a link to the streaming album and this is his review. Def. a new fan--->

"Love the album and how completely different it sounds from one track to the next (yet still so good) which is so rare.

My current favs are King Hummingbird, Sweetest Thing (Toots is an awesome addition), Gotta Know, Beautiful Word, and Lullaby (of course since Derek Trucks is on it). I was tempted to just keep writing every track title as my fav but I'm gonna stick with this list for now. 

Just an awesome album. Hopefully, he gets some recognition for this."

So again, I hope this album makes JJ world reknowned and I'm sure (esp after meeting him in NYC) he won't ever forget his loyal fanbase but either way, Georgia Warhorse IS hitting people.
slick814

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
why this one? great songs on the others too. blackwater is a great tune of the first one. I don't think jj writes songs to be "the" song, he just writes them, like he said somewhere that he could never thought lochloosa would be such a huge thing, he just wrote about missing his home, sittin on cold rainy england, and here it is, people LOVe that song.
so maybe there's a song on GW that will turn into something bigger

That's just it. for some reason I can't think of a song that I HAVEN'T liked (at a minimum) that they've done. But something about Beautiful World stood out to me. It just had a kind of vibe to it that reminded me of when I was working in radio. You'd get preview copies of discs with the first single touted by the record company. Then sit down for a listen, and hear something else on there that just said..."I can see the phones lighting up if we play this one"... sometimes that tune never got released as a single, sometimes it did. Some stations allow a little freedom to play a track you like, others don't, so there were times that I felt someone had a hit on their hands, but it never got on the air. Other times, I'd play it and  found I was right about the tune. Once in a while a song would hit me, but didn't seem to connect with others. I just got that vibe within the first 30 seconds of Beautifyl World. Replayed the whole song and said to myself... "That's the next single, and it is gonna go Top 40. Not sure how high, but higher than anything else has".... Is it a bad thing? Nope. It's still Mofro, and definitely a JJ tune. But, it just made me wonder if this tour is going to end up being the last time they do smaller clubs and end up moving up to maybe some 1000 seat theaters...or go even bigger.
Like I said, I truly wish JJ & the boys as much success as they dream of having! I just kinda want to have people look at me like "Who is that" when I play the music or wear a shirt is all. Just a little bit o' selfishness there.
Besides. I haven't been lucky enough to get down to Florida or anywhere in the Southeast to see them yet, and would love to hang out with you guys at a show just once!!! 

All that is
All that will be
FireFly

Reply with quote  #19 
slick, I had excactly the same thoughts about "beautiful world". something about it just stands out. I was watching the sunrise when the someone put that song on and walked away to get something, I kept going over and hitting repeat, like 5 times.

cool you worked for the radio, what you do now?
I used to come up to your neck of the woods for 10000 lake festival, but they didn't have it this year

when I'm with you,
slick814

Reply with quote  #20 
Now? Well....I'm a techinician at a major medical device company. I get ta fix lasers, robotics, and the machinery that makes heart catheters, pacemakers, and that kind of stuff.

Not as much fun as doing the radio thing, but it does pay alot better...

I was surprised not to see the 10K lakes fest this year, but I heard rumors that there was some money issues with it... having DMB as the headliners last year, I'm not surprised. Thing was, there wasn't a lot of advertising it down here in the cities, which probably hurt them. Hopefully next year they'll fix those issues.

All that is
All that will be
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter