Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #1 
I will return soon with my review............

please stand by ........

for the rest of y'all that were in attendance,
please give us your take on last night's revival!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 
Friday March 6, 2015

Track 29

Chattanooga, TN

First show of mine for the new Ol Glory album.  Knowing how hard it must for Our Boys be to be on the road so much, and giving up many comforts; I decided to prepare a BBQ meal featuring Pulled Pork slow smoked over our hickory and cherry wood, Wild Horse Mountain Beans, Fresh Napa Slaw with Gregg's secret vinegar sauce, and finish it off my my Nanner Puddin'.

Woke at 5 am Friday to begin my day.  I needed to pull the pork, bake the beans, make the slaw and nanner puddin and be ready to leave by 1 o'clock or so.  Had so much fun singing and dancing, all the while zipping round the kitchen.

Eva, Erica, and I arrived to the bus drop of the goodies about 5:30, got a chance to chit chat with Aaron, Todd, Colin, and Chris.  We needed to get back to the hostel and then grab a quick bite to eat before we head to the venue.  We stayed at The Crash Pad, what an incredible place to stay!  Next store was the Flying Squirrel, we ordered a few snacks as the place filled up.  Soon Erica headed to the venue, just a short 5-10 min walk, as Eva and I waited for our food; where I consumed possibly the best taco I ever had...........it was called the Cuban.  It was prepared with Pork Belly and Beef Brisket, pickles too.....what a ménage  of flavors exploding in my mouth.....yes, I had a moment.

It wasn't long before we were at the will call window getting our tickets.  As we proceed to the entrance, there are 3 sets of 2 dudes (one on each side).  First set checks our ticket and places a wristband on the right, not the left, but the right wrist. 

we take 4 steps ...

the next set does the search the purse/person

take 4 more steps...

now we show the next couple of smiling dudes our IDs...NOW we're in, yea!

The opening band, The People's Blues of Richmond, was pretty good,.  I enjoyed a couple of their songs, and the audience was pretty receptive.

Was fortunate to run into many MofroFans I haven't seen in some time, including Meandmyfriend, 3nail, Little Flower and Bad Habit of course ☺!  I was saddened to know The Follower was there and was unable to say hello.  Next time Billy ☺.

While waiting for Our Boys, as usual, all us fans are always eager to engage in Mofro conversations, meet new folk, and just general sharing of our love of JJ's music.  I struck up a conversation with a most lovely lady.  I believe her name was Taylor and she was just a doll.  I told her about mofrofans.com and gave her one of the forum cards.  Told her to stop by the Front Porch and say hello.

The evening began with a strong surge of energy with the songs "Night to Remember" and "99 Shades of Crazy".  I was hoping to hear the new song that speaks to me so strongly, "Every Minute", and I got it, 4th song into the show!  Eva handed me her phone to video tape, as I wanted to have a source to relive this song.  I usually am pretty good about holding still to get a video that is easy to watch, and Lord knows I tried, but I could not sit still for this song, so I apologize in advance, lol. And to keep the upbeat juju flowing, "Brighter Days" followed next.   

I find the song "Brave Lil' Fighter" to be something of a different sound when thinking of Mofro songs.  But I think that is the appeal.....  This is a song about a friend of JJ's that he worked with/for.  The same person JJ dedicated this album, Ol Glory to.  I love the sound the horns add to this song at the end.  Great song, and even better live! 

I always love the intro to "Hide and Seek", and the instrumental prelude seemed to be longer this time.

"Light a Candle" followed, and I found the candle upfront on the center stage, and the stage lighting throughout the song, as well the small lights that would glow on the back drop of the tree, perfect for this song, and allowed one to get a real feel for this song. 

Then came "Lochloosa", I never tire of this song, .....  E. V. E. R.

"Ho Cake" was next, and I can't remember which song it was, but the band started an impromptu jam and was sounding jazzy.  Anyone remember which song it was, was it this one?

Now, what I was witnessing, thought out the show, was there seemed to be a little bit more movement on the right side of the stage.  Seems as if Dennis and Jeff are starting to move to the groove, if you will.  Bringing back the dancing, that is always fun!!

"Home in the Sky" ......... I was told by someone that this was the first time played live.  I liked this song upon hearing the new album.  But when I heard it live, it was like a light went off, something definitely clicked, everything seemed to become clear to me.... kinda like the song's meaning was making itself known to me.........one of many "moments" I experienced thought this unforgettable evening!

Time for the first encore.  Seconds before the song began; a hear a gal yell out,

"The Sun Is Shining Down"........... and JJ began singing

"How, many, more days can you hold out .........”.

I allowed myself to be completely immersed in this song. During the guitar solo, as my eyes were closed, I could feel those feelings resurfacing that I hadn't felt in sometime.  I felt those feelings of the moment we lost him, and it was hard all over again, but in a positive way, as I felt my father's presence that I hadn't felt in a while.  For that, I am grateful.

Next was "Ol Glory"................ wow, wow!  Just when I didn't think any more energy could be sucked into this room without the walls giving way and  blowing out,

"Ol Glory" is a heart pumping, toe tapping, booty shaking, throw your hands up in the air, emotional free for all Revival!! 

I swear I felt the Glory. 

"In a heartbeat, all worlds are born

In a heartbeat, all worlds collide

This song live is just something everyone should experience once in their lifetime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHAT an emotional energy packed show! Watching JJ just being in his happy place, arms stretched out, with his eyes closed, head tilted back, for a long moment, and smiling a smile so big, it just makes you smile.....because you, you feel it too.

I felt as if the band melded together so much more since I saw them last October.  There is always a learning curve, time to adjust, when a new band member is on board.  Jeff is such a nice sincere guy, just like the rest of them. I think he is a great fit, heck, JJ never added someone that wasn't.  That is why, in time, I know he will feel at home, if he doesn't already.  That doesn't mean I don't miss Art like the dickens, always will, still mess Adam and George.  But this is life and we gotsa go with the flow.

Random Thoughts:

This show meant so much to me on so many levels; some moments I am willing to share, and some I am not.  It was a very spiritual filled show, and feel blessed to have been witness to the Glory!

Our Boys were as happy to enjoy the spread as I was to prepare it!

I realized that they played songs from all but This River. 

So we were treated songs from all across spectrum!

was fortunate to be able to spend a little bit of time with JJ backstage.  Talked about the evils of ticket master, the evils of Disney and Dolly world.  JJ takes my album from me, as well as my sharpie, and I ask if he can draw something........not sure where that request came from, but .........

He seems to oblige, as he proceeds to almost relive the memory as he tells his story.  He begins by telling us about a calendar that his Granny had.  And each month had a different picture.  And in that picture, it was a game to find the mask of Randy the Raccoon.  All the while, he is slowly and meticulously drawing the mask.

[10997026_10203635108459352_505358949414572011_o]

I was able to get all but Anthony's autograph on my Ol Glory Album!  Had some great moments with the guys after the show.  Just leaves me wanting more .....

MaxHP

Reply with quote  #3 
What an outstanding review, thanks Sunshine for sharing your phenomenal experience! While I didn't get to meet JJ, I also feel grateful that I was able to share a drink with AC, Anthony and Jeff after the show in Charlottesville - good times, that's for sure.

Thanks Sunshine!
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #4 
[cool][smile][biggrin][wink][eek][tongue][kiss][love][wave][thumb][comp][comp][comp]  As always ,great review Sunny !!!

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh Sunny... you always give the best reviews! I started getting goosebumps and daydreaming of watching the boys play live. Sounds like you had an awesome time! I can't wait to hear the new album live... funny you mention Brave Lil Fighter, as that is one of the new songs I really look forward to. Something about it is just so raw that I imagine that it would be incredible live!
Hopefully, they'll be back my way soon.

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter