Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
For those going to St. Auggie, the datil chilis are there, now. Good timing. If you are into spice and have not tried them you NEED to look them up. I donno if there will be anyone selling them or spices made from them right at the festival, but I'd be surprised if not.
They are almost as hot as habanero, but have a much sweeter flavor. If you find plants there, they are good to keep in pots at home. If you are traveling from points north, it would be a little tricky to keep the plants alive because they don't do well in cold.

If this is a true rib fest, and there are different local bbq chefs with their wares there, ask around about datils.

Pilchard, your plants still alive?

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 

ooooo, great to know tox, we luvs the heat!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #3 

I ain't nary heard of them tox. I'll have to look for 'em. They grow wild down there?

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

I ain't nary heard of them tox. I'll have to look for 'em. They grow wild down there?

wouldn't that be UP there??

jimbo

President/Founder/Professor,

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #5 

WARNING ! DATIL PEPPERS !
  over consumtion can cause servere
  case of ring of fire & bad tobacco
  stains in drawers.
tox

Honorary Alumni Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #6 
Here's something from minorcandatil.com:

The Cuisine of Old St. Augustine

"The Cuisine of Old St. Augustine"

From the Nation's Oldest City comes to you the finest gourmet line of datil pepper products. Minorcan Datil Pepper Products was established 19 years ago. By offering such sauces and condiments, our hope is to produce a loyal following of those who only demand the delicious, sweet heat flavor this little pepper has to offer.

Come on in and visit our store featuring the "original" datil pepper gourmet sauces. By original we simply mean that all our products are made with ONLY the datil pepper which is grown locally. We grow, cook and bottle right here in St. Augustine, Florida. So if you’ve been hearing about this rare and unique little pepper you’ve come to the right place! We invite you to try and experience for yourself the ever so sweet slow burn and know you will be back again and again. Afterall, we’re not just another hot sauce; we’re 400 years of history!

The Minorcans migrated to St. Augustine in 1777 bringing with them the seeds of their datil pepper. The datil pepper is indigenous to the St. Augustine area and was once thought to only grow here. Therefore, we also consider it the St. Augustine pepper. Today datil peppers are still used in the Minorcan cookings of chicken pilau and homemade sausage."

There's also a thread on the Florida Sportsman forum in their 'sportsman's kitchen' section, which is where i found out about 'em. It has info on where to buy plants, if you are interested.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/sportsmans-kitchen/datil-plants

Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo

WARNING ! DATIL PEPPERS !
  over consumtion can cause servere
  case of ring of fire & bad tobacco
  stains in drawers.

JIMBO, you gonna be at the Rib Fest?!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 

Sunny, I don't know my up from my right. Tox that's quite cool. I had no idea. There's a little restaurant on A1A on Matanzas Inlet south of the bridge. Been there forever. When I was a kid my parents would stop there anytime we were in the area and get a dozen or more styrofoam pints of Minorcan clam chowder. It was AWESOME! We'd freeze it and would have several months worth. It had a bite to it and now I know why!  (BTW, me and the trophy wife stopped in there 3 or 4 years ago; different owners, still have good chowder but not great, nothing like years ago.)

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 
But I don't ever recall getting tobacco stains. Course I was a kid so maybe I just didn't notice. The ring of fire I think I'da remembered tho Jimbo. I guess I musta not overconsumed. I best watch out now...I'm a couple years older than I was then.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter