Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #1 
Am I blind or are we missing a thread on this?????

Daryl's album has just been released!!!!

Check it out ya'll!!!!!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/darylhance

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hallowed-ground/id414199032

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #2 

Professor Jimbo!  Where you at?  You were suppose to let me know when this was going down?  Your excuse better be that you were out fishing or in jail.  I can't believe this slipped through the cracks and we don't have anything on here about this release! 

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 
well a

wooooo hoooo !!

is in order for shure!!

I hope his CD is available at Skippers!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Mr Pilchard

Reply with quote  #4 
I think Clay mentioned the CD's would not be available at The Culture Room or Skippers on a previous post. But don't hold me to it. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyone know if AC will be drumming for Daryle?

Or has Daryle nailed down a full timer yet?

Reply with quote  #5 
AC is on the album, along with Adam Scone plays on a few songs.

TheMuse

Reply with quote  #6 

I asked Daryl if it would be available at Skipper's on FB and he said no.

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #7 

Just bought the mp3 version.  Can't wait to give it a listen.

jimbo

President/Founder/Professor,

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme

Professor Jimbo!  Where you at?  You were suppose to let me know when this was going down?  Your excuse better be that you were out fishing or in jail.  I can't believe this slipped through the cracks and we don't have anything on here about this release! 

I looked for your e-mail addy yesterday & it was
deleted for lack of use,I got info. after daryl put on his site
yesterday ( dig mp3 & cd baby -only ) cd in a couple of weeks.
all info. was put up around 10-1 pm on darylhance.com + many other
sites as the news spreads. I know your mail service is bad at your location,
but didn't know your network was also bad,yet I want guess  where ya
going or been. Heh-Heh . send me your e-mail addy.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 

With his debut album Hallowed Ground Daryl Hance has stepped out from his 12-year long role as guitarist for southern rock and soul band JJ Grey & Mofro, just as if compadre Grey and his Mofro cohorts eased their skiff up close enough to the bank for Hance to jump off and venture back out into his own neck of the woods. A landscape decorated by an unrelenting sonic-blast of groovin' rock and roll music built of humid-heavy blues-driven guitar grooves, fully-cranked funky riffs, soothing slide and acoustic guitars. All cushioning a very laid back and largely introspective vocal style atop thick bass lines and pocket-locked drums. 

Consisting of thirteen original positive-charged Hance compositions, the record was recorded in St. Augustine, Florida at Jim Devito's Retrophonics Studio, and mixed at Blackbird Studio in Nashville, Tennessee during the fall of 2010. Produced by Hance, Engineered and Recorded by Matt Grondin, the majority of the tracks were laid down live in the studio in one day, with the remaining time spent overdubbing. Beat master Anthony Cole held down the drums, while Jacksonville veteran musician Shane Platten manned the bass. Organist Adam Scone also dropped by to lend some of his world-renowned organ skills to a couple of tracks. "The songs went to tape fairly easily as I had spent the past six years demoing most songs numerous times, then I re-demoed everything again the month before at home. Plus Anthony, Shane, and myself have been rocking the tunes out live over the course of the last year. Additionally, it was killer that Matt was able to do this record with me as his enthusiasm, engineering skills, and vast knowledge of studio gear was essential", said Hance. 

"The album title Hallowed Ground comes from a verse in a song I had planned for the record, and although that particular song didn't make it on the finished recording, the name stuck. It lends itself to what the record is, which is finding your stationary balance in life that transcends everything else so to speak, or your Hallowed Ground. I think technically it means sacred or blessed ground or something to that effect. Anyway, it's a really cool sounding title for an album and has been used by others as a title for many records over the years", says Hance.

Strong out the gate on Hallowed Ground is Here Tonight, which is sort of a Jimi Hendrix/Curtis Mayfield-ish self-reassurance "get you ass in gear" song backed by an AC/DC Back in Black-like riff romping vibe. A song like A Breath Away with its easygoingness and soaring lap-slide crescendos could as easily been an outtake from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. The Devil is a "look in the mirror" at the darker side of human nature set to an ominous likeness of what sonically might have been a Black Sabbath tune with its haunting atmospheric tone and whirlpool coda of guitar-noise, flute, and wood-knocking. 

Referencing descriptives aside, Hallowed Ground is a record full of hard-hitting funky rock and roll diversely interspersed with layered ballad-esque movements, acoustic and electric cuts. A song inspired by a euphoric dream In The Dark , solo acoustic desolation and hopefulness Dragonfly, and a fiery distorted electric-blues drone in Through The Trees. A solid very accessible often dark record with moments of lightness and insightfulness. An unassuming thread of oneness and solitude woven throughout, though not quite a concept album. More of a striving reprieve for deliverance from ones own self, realizing that in the midst of it all... "I've always been home". Whatever the case, it rocks!

Armed with a strong debut in Hallowed Ground. 2011 is setting up to be a watershed year for Daryl Hance as a recording artist. Backed by a three-piece band with Shane Platten on bass and backing vocals, and Mike Romine on drums, he's already shared the stage with JJ Grey & Mofro, Chuck Prophet and The Mission Express, Jace Everett, The Legendary JCs, Damon Fowler, Tab Benoit, Amelia's Mechanics, and Thomas Wynn and the Believers. Performed at The Blackwater Music Festival, Faux Blood Festival, Antemesaris Rock and Roll People's Party, and seems to be set to share the stage with a whole lot of other friends and bands out there on the road very soon... so stay tuned!

Upcoming Shows/Events:

Date:Location:Venue:Ticket Price: 
Jan 14, 2011Fort Lauderdale, FL Culture Room $19.99
Jan 15, 2011Tampa, FL Skipper's Smokehouse $20
Jan 29, 2011Boca Raton, FL The Funky Buddha $8
Feb 05, 2011Winter Park, FL McRaney's Tavern $5

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #10 

The CD release date is Jan 25.  Last I heard Mr P is that Daryl's got a drummer gonna tour with him. But who knows? AC could be behind the kit.

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #11 

This shit is rockin!  Thanks to Daryl for this great album.

jimbo

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

The CD release date is Jan 25.  Last I heard Mr P is that Daryl's got a drummer gonna tour with him. But who knows? AC could be behind the kit.

drummer-mike romain !
Sammigrrrl

Reply with quote  #13 
Violent Femmes also had a record called Hallowed Ground. Came out sometime in the 80's. I thik it was the second record. The girl looking in the window was the first.

Yes, I listened to The Femmes way back when. Still do on occasion.

I know I know... 
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerious Tyme

I looked for your e-mail addy yesterday & it was
deleted for lack of use,I got info. after daryl put on his site
yesterday ( dig mp3 & cd baby -only ) cd in a couple of weeks.
all info. was put up around 10-1 pm on darylhance.com + many other
sites as the news spreads. I know your mail service is bad at your location,
but didn't know your network was also bad,yet I want guess  where ya
going or been. Heh-Heh . send me your e-mail addy.

It's all good Professor, I'm just joking with ya.  Main thing was to put the info up on here so everyone who didn't know about it, does now.  I bought the mp3 album from cdbaby once it was available Tuesday and it's been on repeat ever since.  Love the album and especially love the guitar riffs.  Daryl can really play the axe, that's for sure. 

AntsyAshley

Reply with quote  #15 
Congrats to Daryl! I'm more of a CD girl, myself, so I'll pick it up later this month.
jimbo

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #16 

DARYL'S NEW WEB SITE IS NOW IN ACTION  !

http://darylhance.com 
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo

DARYL'S NEW WEB SITE IS NOW IN ACTION  !

http://darylhance.com 

AWESOME JIMBO!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #18 

bump

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #19 
Summer is definitely my favorite song on the album...they're all good though in my opinion. My other fav's: freedom, in the dark, the devil, washing us away, dragonfly.
jimbo

Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #20 

With his debut album Hallowed Ground Daryl Hance has stepped out from his 12-year long role as guitarist for southern rock and soul band JJ Grey & Mofro, just as if compadre Grey and his Mofro cohorts eased their skiff up close enough to the bank for Hance to jump off and venture back out into his own neck of the woods. A landscape decorated by an unrelenting sonic-blast of groovin' rock and roll music built of humid-heavy blues-driven guitar grooves, fully-cranked funky riffs, soothing slide and acoustic guitars. All cushioning a very laid back and largely introspective vocal style atop thick bass lines and pocket-locked drums. 

Consisting of thirteen original positive-charged Hance compositions, the record was recorded in St. Augustine, Florida at Jim Devito's Retrophonics Studio, and mixed at Blackbird Studio in Nashville, Tennessee during the fall of 2010. Produced by Hance, Engineered and Recorded by Matt Grondin, the majority of the tracks were laid down live in the studio in one day, with the remaining time spent overdubbing. Beat master Anthony Cole held down the drums, while Jacksonville veteran musician Shane Platten manned the bass. Organist Adam Scone also dropped by to lend some of his world-renowned organ skills to a couple of tracks. "The songs went to tape fairly easily as I had spent the past six years demoing most songs numerous times, then I re-demoed everything again the month before at home. Plus Anthony, Shane, and myself have been rocking the tunes out live over the course of the last year. Additionally, it was killer that Matt was able to do this record with me as his enthusiasm, engineering skills, and vast knowledge of studio gear was essential", said Hance. 

"The album title Hallowed Ground comes from a verse in a song I had planned for the record, and although that particular song didn't make it on the finished recording, the name stuck. It lends itself to what the record is, which is finding your stationary balance in life that transcends everything else so to speak, or your Hallowed Ground. I think technically it means sacred or blessed ground or something to that effect. Anyway, it's a really cool sounding title for an album and has been used by others as a title for many records over the years", says Hance.

Strong out the gate on Hallowed Ground is Here Tonight, which is sort of a Jimi Hendrix/Curtis Mayfield-ish self-reassurance "get you ass in gear" song backed by an AC/DC Back in Black-like riff romping vibe. A song like A Breath Away with its easygoingness and soaring lap-slide crescendos could as easily been an outtake from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon. The Devil is a "look in the mirror" at the darker side of human nature set to an ominous likeness of what sonically might have been a Black Sabbath tune with its haunting atmospheric tone and whirlpool coda of guitar-noise, flute, and wood-knocking. 

Referencing descriptives aside, Hallowed Ground is a record full of hard-hitting funky rock and roll diversely interspersed with layered ballad-esque movements, acoustic and electric cuts. A song inspired by a euphoric dream In The Dark , solo acoustic desolation and hopefulness Dragonfly, and a fiery distorted electric-blues drone in Through The Trees. A solid very accessible often dark record with moments of lightness and insightfulness. An unassuming thread of oneness and solitude woven throughout, though not quite a concept album. More of a striving reprieve for deliverance from ones own self, realizing that in the midst of it all... "I've always been home". Whatever the case, it rocks!

Armed with a strong debut in Hallowed Ground. 2011 is setting up to be a watershed year for Daryl Hance as a recording artist. Backed by a three-piece band with Shane Platten on bass and backing vocals, and Mike Romine on drums, he's already shared the stage with JJ Grey & Mofro, Chuck Prophet and The Mission Express, Jace Everett, The Legendary JCs, Damon Fowler, Tab Benoit, Amelia's Mechanics, and Thomas Wynn and the Believers. Performed at The Blackwater Music Festival, Faux Blood Festival, Antemesaris Rock and Roll People's Party, and seems to be set to share the stage with a whole lot of other friends and bands out there on the road very soon... so stay tuned!

Upcoming Shows/Events:

Date:Location:Venue:Ticket Price: 
Jan 14, 2011Fort Lauderdale, FL Culture Room $19.99
Jan 15, 2011Tampa, FL Skipper's Smokehouse $20
Jan 29, 2011Boca Raton, FL The Funky Buddha $8
Feb 05, 2011Winter Park, FL McRaney's Tavern $5

Well things have finally bound together for DARYL HANCE-HALLOWED GROUND CD debut at THE FUNKY BUDDHA in BOCO RATON tonight,with
CD's under arms & ( available on C D BABY.com)  primed for a great show tonight.THANKS to all who
helped make this happen,it sure makes an old man proud to be member
of this family. LATER, JIMBO 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter