Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #1 

Had a wonderful weekend camping atop of a beautiful mountain in Chrokee, NC.  Friday was Sawyer's birthday so we made a 3 day outdoor adventure out of it.  Carved pumpkins and had beyond a wonderful time and will always remember the incredible wind storm that we survived that first day and night.  Highs of 65 and blue blue sky, the 1st ngiht was below freezing.  Saw a beautiful sunset and had some great vittles.  Enjoyed the beauty of Fall and sad to realize that is is our last camping trip for at least 5 months.  Hope y'all had a great weekend!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
modifab

Reply with quote  #2 
Siiiigghhh...

Love it Sunny!! Very lucky you are!!

Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifab
Siiiigghhh...

Love it Sunny!! Very lucky you are!!

haha, you are the lucky one as I did not include my looong version telling my story, lol!!

modifab

Reply with quote  #4 

Bring it on woman! I read through all your weekend excursions in envy...

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modifab

Bring it on woman! I read through all your weekend excursions in envy...

do you really ?!?

ok .............. remember, you asked for it ..........

Weekend Update October 14 - 16 2011

Mile High Campground ~ Site 16

It was indeed a perfect weekend to go camping!  The forecast was high of 65 to lows of 35.  0% chance of rain and 100% chance of sunshine.

Friday was Sawyer's 8th birthday and we decided to take our last camping adventure of 2011.

We love Mile High Campground, as it is only 30 minutes from our back door, but we are in such a different natural setting. Atop a beautiful mountain in Cherokee. The sky was an incredible deep blue all weekend, almost a surreal feeling.

Our original site was #20, on the other side of the dirt road, the site with a beautiful long range views.  Gregg and I arrived at 11:00 am to set up while the kids were at school.  Upon our arrival, it was not hard to notice the wind, because it was more than just a breeze blowing.  The gusts of wind, Gregg guesstimated, were upwards of 50 mph at least.  And they weren't just gusts that would blow on in and be done ...... nooooooo, these here gusts would blow in and get louder and stronger and louder and stronger and last a while.  Let me put it this way, it was damn near impossible to set up our EZ Up.   We finally had it up, but I had to literally hang on to one of the poles, that were already secured with large metal stakes pounded into the ground, with my arms fully wrapped around and using my legs to hold it so it wouldn't take off like a rocket.  And the wind made it down right cold; my fingers were about frozen after 20 minutes of this.  Gregg started to tie down the EZ Up with rope attached to neighboring trees, but when another gust came, the whole thing shook from side to side, up and down, and all I could do was laugh ~ every it happened!  There was NO WAY this was gonna work.  We were lucky and found a site that was available and kinda tucked in between Rhododendrons and trees.  The view was not as superior, but we were protected from the crazy wintery wind.

I got the air mattresses inflated and the sleeping bags, sleeping bag liners (to add 10 degrees of warmth), blankets and pillows all set up in the tent while was Gregg putting on 3 of the 4 sides to the EZ Up to help block the wind, he did a fine job of going the extra mile to secure all the walls against the excessive wind.

We headed back into town to pick up the kids and were back to the site by 3 pm.  It was too cold and gusty to ride the bikes and we tried to get a fire started and eventually got dinner going.

Sawyer opened his gifts and it revealed a Pumpmaster 760 and a scope to with it!  He was indeed a happy camper!!

It was almost too windy to have a fire, if you can believe that!

Gregg prepared some roasted pork at home along with a wonderful concoction made with our fresh habbies for a spicy sauce, and brought along cilantro, queso fresco, and a sweet and hot pepper condiment for the carnitas we are going to have for dinner.

Gregg crispened up the pork in the dutch oven as I warmed the tortillas on the camp cook stove.  We had to eat fast as the pork got cold quickly, even in our little igloo of sorts.

And for Sawyer’s birthday cake, we went with Chocolate Overload!!

I knew I was not going to want to even think about going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, so I cut off my liquids early.  With this wind it was sure to be below freezing.  We ended up retiring to the tent about 9pm as it was too cold and windy to enjoy what little fire we were able to maintain.  Took me HOURS to fall asleep, I bet at least 4 hours went by.  The wind was merciless, I mean every time I heard a wind approaching in the distance, I would just listen ........... and it would get closer, and louder and many many times (I bet over a dozen while I was awake) it had that similar sound of a freight train plowing overhead.  I was expecting and anticipating the EZ Up going bye bye because of the howling trains making many stops overhead that night.  I forgot how the weather can be different on top of a mountain range at an elevation of 5,400 feet, during October.

Angel was such a weather weenie this trip, all she wanted to do was to hang out in Daddy’s truck, wrapped in a blanket.  She actually turned Cujo on Gregg when he tried to pick her up to bring her into the tent for the night, lol!!

After what seemed an eternity, Saturday morning finally came ~ Gregg and I realized we were so cold that we slept with our heads tucked in our sleeping bags to keep our faces warm.  Gregg got up first and went to the EZ Up and put the 4th side on and started up the cook stove to heat the interior.  The kids and Angel soon joined Daddy in our little warm kitchen.  Eventually I peeked my head out, and it took me by surprise as my pupils were used to the dark abyss of my sleeping bag and took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the sunlight penetrating the tent.  I took the few steps between our sleeping quarters and our kitchen.

WOW was it warm in there!  I commented that it was about 15 degrees warmer and Gregg said probably more.  The wind was blowing through the mountain range and it was cold!!  At 8:30 am Gregg's truck read 37, so with the wind and the darkness, it was sure to have dipped below 32 during the night, easily.  Not to mention Gregg’s glass still had ice in it from the night before.

The coffee, hot cocoa with marshmallows and warm oatmeal heated our bellies just fine.  The Boys got to carving their pumpkins we brought and I think they turned out great!

Eva, Norman, and Ryan were coming today to pay us a visit.  We had a bit to eat for lunch, and I had my Hebrew National Dog and word spread through camp of my mustard art; and I asked them awl, "now are any of you surprised by this, really?!!".

Luckily Saturday, the wind had died down quite a bit and the air was warmer.

We went on a hike for a while and got some great photos!

The folks camping in this cool VW camper had told us of their windy experience from last night as the wind shook this camper all night long.

For Saturday nights vittles, we were gonna roast a chicken with carrots, garlic, and taters in the dutch oven.  So we got started on our preparations.  Soon I realized that I did not put the carrots and taters on the last minute food packing list, lol!  Time to adjust ........ so instead we added apples we had brought and the pieces of pumpkin that we carved out of the kids pumpkins, and it made for a very Fall like meal!

After dinner we walked to the other end of the campground to watch the sunset into the mountains, to round out what felt like a perfect day!

The winds were not as fierce as they had been the night before.  The air seemed almost eerie for how quiet it was compared to last night.  I think I slept better.  Sunday morning was so much warmer.

We enjoyed corned beef hash and hash browns along with our Brazilian Yellow Bourbon coffee.

The air was warm and I bet, 30 degrees warmer than 24 hours ago.  Gotta love it!!  We ended up breaking down camp quickly and more smoothly that I thought possible.   It was such a great camping trip, especially with the elements of weather, they made this adventure, well, more of an adventure and one not to be forgotten.

How sad it was to put away our camping equipment knowing it will be at least 5 months before we will camp again.  I am hoping to get in a one night backpacking trip before the year’s end, fingers crossed!!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #6 

Getting our roasted pork nice and crispy!!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #7 

Saturday Morning in our warm cozy kitchen!

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #8 

NOW THIS is how I like to camp!!

modifab

Reply with quote  #9 
Well thank ya kindly maam...

That really brought it home! Nice improv with the apples n punkin schtuff! Who does that? Forgets the carrots and taters? LOL! Teasin ya...

I remember my first Crossman 760! I woulda crapped if mine woulda hadda scope on it!!

Now get your asses geared up for a cold weather snow camping excursion on that mountain! LOL!

Poor Angel...

Reply with quote  #10 

Thanks for postin the long version, just love your weekend stories. So many beautiful colors, we just do'nt get that down here. Sounds like a great time, except for the cold. 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter