Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Gang,

I have been just a little buisy, putting together a show, to honor a fallen soldier, the son of classmates, and well, here is what it is all about. This young man, Sgt. Brandon S. Hocking of the US Army, was killed in Iraq on March 21st 2011.  He was on his second tour, and due to come home about a week or two from the day he died.  Sgt. Hocking was laid to rest at Mt. Tahoma National Cemetery, near Seattle, on his 25th birthday.  He leaves behind his two small children, two stepchildren, and wife.  I went to junior and senior highschool with his mom, her sibilings, and his stepdad, here in West Seattle.  Just two days before Brandon died, I was visiting a longtime friend at his ex-wife's home, to celebrate their son's 23rd birthday. Their son, is graduating from the University of Washington, ROTC US Air Force, as an Officer, and will be part of the USAF's Special Ops.  Forward Observers and Air Liason Officers, in short, he'll be with those who jump from planes/helicopters, in or behind the enemy lines, and call in for air strikes, not a low risk duty.  I shook hands with him, hugged him and thanked him too, while his mom looked only as a mom could. 

Then, I get word of Sgt. Hocking's death.  It lead me to do something, so, I called upon those that I know, who are musicians locally, and play in bands, or have in the past. This is what has come of it, and I am asking for those of you in the know, of artist, etc, to see if I can obtain some things like CD's, T-shirts, or whatever a musician or band can offer, that might also be autographed, and I will use these items to be raffled off during the night at the event.  If any of you have a way to contact JJ and or the boys, I would be very and greatly appreciative of your efforts and consideration. Here is a link to the event page that I put on FB, and feel free to share it too.  I know that it is short notice, but if you can help in any way, that would be great.  Just so you know, Adam has offered to send me something from Trombone Shorty, and so has Guillermo from Sunny War, I have some other things in the works too.  Sgt. Hocking, according to his family was aguitar player, and enjoyed the old rock n roll, not to mention some Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams too.  I never met this young man, but, I bet he'd been one to enjoy some JJ Grey and Mofro....if he had not already.  Be well everyone, and thanks for your time.

Richard

Director of really really really
really really long posts

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Y'all,

Sorry, if you are on FB, search..." An evening of music to honor Sgt. Brandon S. Hocking"
thefollower

Reply with quote  #3 
Former Marine and Iraq war veteran here, sorry to hear about your friend.  He paid the ultimate sacrifice

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter