11 Ybor City
12 Orange Blossoms
13 Slow Hot Sweaty
14 Ho Cake
Encore:
15 This River (not on original setlist)
16 Lochloosa
17 On Fire

OH MAN!  The band just absolutely, positively nailed this one in every possible way, in one of the country's iconic venues.  The Cains, built in the 1920's is a registered National Historic landmark, and the site of weekly radio broadcasts of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys waaaaay back in the day.  I hadn't been to a show here in over 30 years, every time I went, it seemed the band fully recognized the importance of the stage and gave all it had.  Tonight was no exception.  Great energy from a very large crowd, every guy in the band was just fantastic.  Again, a pretty wide stage so everyone was pretty spread out, and being inside the PA, the sound was flawless, with lots of horn.  First time I've seen plexiglass in front of JJ's amps, so no quite as much of his guitar up front, but pretty much a perfect dose.

Speaking of JJ's guitar, he didn't play much of it the first third of the show, with a couple opportunities to stroll the stage during Woman and Brighter Days.  Once he did pick it up for Your Lady, it was a long, long time before he gave it up again, just trading ridiculous riffs with Art during Your Lady.  Georgia Warhorse was a highlight with Trube just going apeshit with his lap gadget all over AC's cymbals.  Florabama was such a joyful groove, one of many times Dennis had the crowd roaring.  Todd's bass absolutely nasty.  War was as powerful as ever, Ybor City just a romp, as JJ finally let go of the guitar.  Dennis again wowed the crowd during Slow Hot, Art spanking the tamborine.  Ho Cake featured some great stuff from Anthony, as well as guest wailing from Shawn Eckels of Speakeasy, a band that opened for the guys Dec 30-31 of '12.  JJ was just flabbergasted as Shawn absolutely killed it, teaming with Trube at the end for a battle of guitar prowess.

An extra song in the encore again tonight, with the crowd reasonably attentive during This River.  An incredible Lochloosa followed, as JJ has developed a new guitar solo, similar to the one before, but different enough to feel really fresh and powerful.  On Fire ended in cacophony, with Art, Dennis and JJ widening the hole in the roof they blew out earlier.  Just a tremendous show all around.

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #2 
SAweeeeet review!! [thumb]

..... to a guy who is on quite the run ......  [crazy]

mighty nice sum~may~shun of this show........  [eek]

........... use of the word "cacophony"  [cool]

that shall earn you extra points! [angel]

keep 'em coming! [comp]

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
Got Mofro

Reply with quote  #3 
Excellent review sir. Good stuff !!![cool]

Reply with quote  #4 
Just callin' 'em as I see 'em.  The band is just really rollin' right now with an incredible chemistry.

Sunny, how many extra points do I need to redeem for some chocolate covered bacon?

Scotty, you and GMGirl should be seein' some magic down there in March.  Not enough time for the band to cool off too much.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moore
Just callin' 'em as I see 'em.  The band is just really rollin' right now with an incredible chemistry.

Sunny, how many extra points do I need to redeem for some chocolate covered bacon?

Scotty, you and GMGirl should be seein' some magic down there in March.  Not enough time for the band to cool off too much.

412 points Sir [cool]

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #6 
How many I got now? (insert quizzical-look face thingy here) 

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

17....[/QUOTE

[image]

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Quote:

I think she meant 117 (at least[biggrin]

The last few shows I've been to haven't even had a roll call much less any kind of post from me.  And for at least the last three I made sure to keep up with the setlist!!!  Just the other day I realized I had not posted pictures on facebook from my last SEVEN shows - totally unlike me.  O'well, sometimes life just gets in the way...
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #10 
Oh, and a special hello to rezqfreak (who I finally got to meet at the Athens show)!!! 

[wave]
Sunshine

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habit
Quote:

[image]
I think she meant 117 (at least[biggrin]

awlrightie, I will give ya 100 more points, I'm in a good mood this morning!

George Washington liked Ho Cakes ............. [wink] 
Morning Ox [wave]

Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #12 

ResizedImage_1393514376915.jpg 

Thanks to my little lady telling me all about George yesterday..

Deduct points from the traveling dictionary, and credit my account.. I want the bacon…

Morning [sleep]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter