Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #41 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
another text from modifab...they got whitehouse again AND wrong side AAAANND turpentine....those lucky fuckers..i hate you all !!!!
(but I'm happy for you

Nice, no Harp & Drums though?  I have a feeling that will be a rarity for quite some time.  Whitehouse, Wrong Side and Turpentine on the same set list is something else though!  Thanks for the update FireFly!

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
lemurgrl

Reply with quote  #42 

TURPENTINE?!? AAAAAHHH!!! I want that in Indy so bad I can taste it!

Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #43 

Whitehouse, nice ........... very nice!  I have had the pleasure of seeing Footsteps/Turpentine a couple of times - GREAT GREAT song, I love how JJ's voice get real deep when he sings "in the piney wooooods .."

Morning Mr. Cracka!!!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #44 
I damn near died when I got 2 concert calls from modifab last night.......Whitehouse & Turpentine! That kindness topped off my Friday Eve perfectly!!

Can't wait until the reviews start pouring in!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

thefollower

Reply with quote  #45 
Beat show I've ever seen
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Uh-oh. Giggles I think she's one of you...

Hey, hey! You say that like it's a bad thing!!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #47 
alright now it's my turn to be mad...I'm pissed,,arrrrrhhhhhh....I'm trhowin things around my little apt...wtf? turpentine...!!!! 3 days on rombello and NUTTIN! aaahhh
I wanna hear how ac drums this song!!!! I used to love how sluppick did it!!!!
somebody have a live recording of some sort of that shit? before i go insane?

( funny quotes from rombello )
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #48 
There are simply not enough hours in the day!!!  I will at least post some pictures from the Nashville and Indy shows

modifab

Reply with quote  #49 

So I'll group a quick review of these two shows together since Birmingham never got it's own thread...

Mofro set #2 on this most excellent mofroad trip! Birmingham is a nice clean quiet little town for being a decent sized city I tell ya. The Workplay Theatre was fantastic! Not oversold so there was plenty room to breathe right up front. I failed to make mention of that aspect about the show at The Howlin Wolf too. Was surprised to see that much ass shakin room in Nawlins. Then again it was a Galactic show and there was a lota other music in town too.

So the volume was definitely down at the Workplay but the sound quality was fantastic with clarity... Met up with Howar054 that afternoon at the park and had a couple cold cocktails and then we took the show in together right up front right up until the last song. We ended up getting seperated... That's a story not to be shared publicly, but a funny one for the books for sure!

So yeah.. Fucking Whitehouse!! Been since the days of JJ with shaggy hair and flip flops rollin in the Winnie since I've had the plezha of that beautiful tune! They kinda ripped right through it though with a quicker tempo. The kid was one gigantic smile all the while singing it for us! Just ask Howar054... Then here comes the eeery guitar lead in for Footsteps! The fucking hair on the back of my neck stood on end at an instant! Arms covered in chicken skin...

One big noteable if I can remember correctly... This was the first time seeing Mofro that Ho Cake wasn't played. No implication there. Not that I was bummed, I could take or leave it I've heard it so many times. Just seems that between that and Lochloosa, those are staples they usually put out there for the fans so I figured I'd note it for y'all.

More of the same with JJ's slow recovery. A bit better than the show before but still not gettin after it a 100%. Leaning on the mic stand a good bit in the early going and blinkin his eyes trying to get focused. By mid set though he was schtompin round the stage a bit and doin a little hoppin for Orange Blossoms..

The all out ass kickin that Todd and AC are handing out during Everything Good Is Bad is just down right filthy! JJ in there tryin to throw em off with his tambourine is priceless... Such a great time these kids are havin feeding of one anutha. Again Art and Dennis? What can I say? They can handle tearin the roof off all by themselves...

Encored with Lochloosa and On Fire... The place got smokey and went nuts!

Oh and MF1.. Got us a Wrong Side in the mix there too!!

Reply with quote  #50 
Whoooo!! On to Nashville!! Hot Damn this trip is killin it! The Exit/In. Legendary room I understand and by the list of awesomeness that's up on the wall above the bar? I'd certainly have to agree!

Met up with Bad Habit and Howar054 again. Met a few others very briefly but didn't make the oppurtunity to spend any time pre show. Had to get some food and the line was long and making people nervous. I missed most of the Shannon McNally set but the end that I did catch was even tighter than the night previous in Birmingham.. She's playing with a full band unlike when she was solo with JJ solo... I'd wondered how she'd pull off warming up Mofro on her own. Not the case. Her and her band are pretty great.

So the volume was back up in Nashville, the place didn't sound all that great to me to my surprise. Sure as hell ain't gonna sweat the small shit though. There's more raw feeling at a Mofro show for me that I barely even notice much else.

Pretty much the same drill here folks. These guys are so dynamic with such a big time sound these days. I know it ain't the same for all you Floridians that have been so close to JJ all these years but Damnit y'all, to see him thriving like this on his own terms has to at least be refreshing ain't it? I know it is for me and I have no qualms with welcoming the change of times.

Another set with Footsteps/Turpentine! KILLER! Another set with Whitehouse but this time they knocked it back a click on the metronome with the tempo we all know and love... The crowd it was a singin anda swayin!!

So they turned it loose with Ho Cake at this show and the Breakdown with Todd and AC went off on a tangent like I'd never even imagined! I mean all I could do was stand there holding my jaw up... pure funkified Bass and Drums! When JJ throws it to Anthony and brags up his killer voice, Farrell is all obliging and rips shit up on the keys and vocals! No surprise but it's nice to see him showcased!

Anutha stellar showing from the boys in a great venue in a big time music town! My first time to Nashville... I'll be back!

Of course during Mississippi, it was.. "Here in Nashville TennesEEEEeee!!" Whatta riot!

Encored with Dirtfloorcracka I believe? BH correct me if I'm wrong please. It was definitely at the end of the set if not the encore. Killed it!! 

Reply with quote  #51 

Awesome reviews dude. Whitehouse, Wrong Side aaaaand footsteps/Turpentine. That's what I'ma talkin bout! Thanks.

Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modifab
 Mofro set #2 on this most excellent moforoad trip!

you spelt mofroroad trip wrong 

but puttin that aside, what a heck of two reviews!  I love the Exit/In!  That was the first place I brought Our Boys the BBQ spread.  Glad you gots to hook up with many of the other Mofronians.  And very glad to hear an old timer enjoying the changes thru the years!  Have a GREAT on Modifab!

Hey, I sent Lil Mofro Ho a text that night in Indy and asked her if you looked and danced like you other avatar, lol!!!

modifab

Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Quote:

but puttin that aside, what a heck of two reviews!  I love the Exit/In!  That was the first place I brought Our Boys the BBQ spread.  Glad you gots to hook up with many of the other Mofronians.  And very glad to hear an old timer enjoying the changes thru the years!  Have a GREAT on Modifab!

Hey, I sent Lil Mofro Ho a text that night in Indy and asked her if you looked and danced like you other avatar, lol!!!

Shit! So did you though,,,Teeeheeee!!! It goes like this >Mofroad trip< Correction being made directly and thank you Sunny!

Oh yeah that's right! She told me bout that! Sheesh the brain cells were just a flyin out ma ears last week!

Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Quote:

Shit! So did you though,,,Teeeheeee!!! It goes like this >Mofroad trip< Correction being made directly and thank you Sunny!

Oh yeah that's right! She told me bout that! Sheesh the brain cells were just a flyin out ma ears last week!

ahhhhh ........ mofroad trip, I like that better!!

Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #55 

So, here’s my Nashville review.  Sorry it’s just random notes and not written out properly, but if I tried to take the time to do it up right, I’d never get to it!!

* running late, trouble parking, one way streets, piranha’s dead, left to find other bar

* found other bar then looked for parking, kept getting turned around, finally decided just to go to the venue since it was getting close to time for the doors to open (so I thought – confused with different time zone)

·      * found exit/in but again not sure where to park, ended up calling them, couldn’t find exactly where they mentioned but saw the bus and pulled into lot and parked my happy ass right there! 

·      * doors were locked, guy said to go across the street to Gold Rush, wanted to call little flower and tried to look up number on fansite but it wasn’t listed

·      * talked to guy who wouldn’t shut up (happened to be from Tyler, TX – same place as Trube and where my grandmother grew up), nose all scratched up, said he got into a fight with his friend the previous weekend, was driving with his wife in the passenger side and the friend and wife were in the backseat, something set him off and the guy punched the driver, the driver tried punching him back but the guy ended up STABBING him three times on his left side!  driver pulls over, jumps out the car, pulls the stabber out of the car and proceeded to beat the shit out of him until he was unconscious, driver then pulls away and hasn’t spoken to him since – then he lifted up his shirt to SHOW ME his stab wounds, knife hit his rib so it hurts when he breathes – somebody save me!!!

·      * at Gold Rush met Susanne’s husband, Carey, and her brother Bumper, his girlfriend Lori, they were all lots of fun!

·      * the crew left to get something from their car, but I was talking to modifab and when I went outside  saw there was already a crowd of about 30 people or so waiting in line to get in – ugh!  I quick got in line by myself

·      * a few minutes later Art walked out the back door wearing a beanie/ski cap, I caught his eye and said hello – then he turned and came back to hug me and chat for a brief second, told him to go get pizza from Gold Rush

·      * then little flower and crew came up so I went back to where they were in line, a couple of minutes later AC came out and gave me my pre-show hug – he always give the BEST hugs but this one especially good because he was WARM   hugged Lori too – she was excited

·      * Shannon McNally opened and had a band of four or so guys with her – had seen her before – good!

·      * Nashville show was AWESOME, loved the height of the stage, perfect for me

·      * met some really great people – lots of excitement – swear there was ecstasy or something in the air ‘cause I hugged damn near everybody – and more than once!!!

·      * was SO excited to run into a certain lurker out there who I first met at Windjammer, ironic that I saw him at this show because I was JUST thinking about him – when talking about how people who’ve never met (or just met) offer you a place to stay and mean it – great group of folks, those Mofro fans

·      * also ran into Erin, a girl I met at the Nashville solo show in March

·     *  hanging out at the bus after the show, met some guy with the last name of Corbitt who is from Jacksonville and plays in a band with at least two other Corbitt guys, he went to some room/building behind the venue, came back out and said JJ wouldn’t be coming out for awhile because he was playing golf, then he said yeah just go on in, so Billy and I did

·      * hung out with JJ and AC for a good while, JJ kissed me and I kissed him back – on the cheek, of course.  I said next time I was aiming for those luscious lips   

*For those of you who don’t know me, I’m JUST KIDDING!!!

·      * ended up driving to the hotel which was prob NOT a good idea!  drove around looking for another bar – got beer from gas station and hung out in the lobby of hotel

So, there it is!  I had an amazing time (both Nashville and Indy) and it was worth every one of the 1757 miles I traveled!!!  I will share with y’all one embarrassing thing that happened.  Not really embarrassing so much as just one of those “cringe” moments   Here’s the message I sent to a friend:

Oh, and I told JJ I love him - yikes!!! It was one of those weird things that just accidentally slipped out. You know how to some people you automatically say "I love you" when telling them goodbye? Well, that's exactly what happened. I was hugging him goodbye and said, "I love you. See you tomorrow." like it was an everyday occurrence - ugh! And the sad part is that I wasn't even drunk. My only saving grace (at least that I keep telling myself) is that I did the same thing to Todd the following night - hugged him goodbye and said, "I love you. Good to see you again." Geez! What I'm going to do with myself?  

Craven Moore

Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habit

So, here’s my Nashville review.  Sorry it’s just random notes and not written out properly, but if I tried to take the time to do it up right, I’d never get to it!!

* running late, trouble parking, one way streets, piranha’s dead, left to find other bar

* found other bar then looked for parking, kept getting turned around, finally decided just to go to the venue since it was getting close to time for the doors to open (so I thought – confused with different time zone)

·      * found exit/in but again not sure where to park, ended up calling them, couldn’t find exactly where they mentioned but saw the bus and pulled into lot and parked my happy ass right there! 

·      * doors were locked, guy said to go across the street to Gold Rush, wanted to call little flower and tried to look up number on fansite but it wasn’t listed

·      * talked to guy who wouldn’t shut up (happened to be from Tyler, TX – same place as Trube and where my grandmother grew up), nose all scratched up, said he got into a fight with his friend the previous weekend, was driving with his wife in the passenger side and the friend and wife were in the backseat, something set him off and the guy punched the driver, the driver tried punching him back but the guy ended up STABBING him three times on his left side!  driver pulls over, jumps out the car, pulls the stabber out of the car and proceeded to beat the shit out of him until he was unconscious, driver then pulls away and hasn’t spoken to him since – then he lifted up his shirt to SHOW ME his stab wounds, knife hit his rib so it hurts when he breathes – somebody save me!!!

·      * at Gold Rush met Susanne’s husband, Carey, and her brother Bumper, his girlfriend Lori, they were all lots of fun!

·      * the crew left to get something from their car, but I was talking to modifab and when I went outside  saw there was already a crowd of about 30 people or so waiting in line to get in – ugh!  I quick got in line by myself

·      * a few minutes later Art walked out the back door wearing a beanie/ski cap, I caught his eye and said hello – then he turned and came back to hug me and chat for a brief second, told him to go get pizza from Gold Rush

·      * then little flower and crew came up so I went back to where they were in line, a couple of minutes later AC came out and gave me my pre-show hug – he always give the BEST hugs but this one especially good because he was WARM   hugged Lori too – she was excited

·      * Shannon McNally opened and had a band of four or so guys with her – had seen her before – good!

·      * Nashville show was AWESOME, loved the height of the stage, perfect for me

·      * met some really great people – lots of excitement – swear there was ecstasy or something in the air ‘cause I hugged damn near everybody – and more than once!!!

·      * was SO excited to run into a certain lurker out there who I first met at Windjammer, ironic that I saw him at this show because I was JUST thinking about him – when talking about how people who’ve never met (or just met) offer you a place to stay and mean it – great group of folks, those Mofro fans

·      * also ran into Erin, a girl I met at the Nashville solo show in March

·     *  hanging out at the bus after the show, met some guy with the last name of Corbitt who is from Jacksonville and plays in a band with at least two other Corbitt guys, he went to some room/building behind the venue, came back out and said JJ wouldn’t be coming out for awhile because he was playing golf, then he said yeah just go on in, so Billy and I did

·      * hung out with JJ and AC for a good while, JJ kissed me and I kissed him back – on the cheek, of course.  I said next time I was aiming for those luscious lips   

*For those of you who don’t know me, I’m JUST KIDDING!!!

·      * ended up driving to the hotel which was prob NOT a good idea!  drove around looking for another bar – got beer from gas station and hung out in the lobby of hotel

So, there it is!  I had an amazing time (both Nashville and Indy) and it was worth every one of the 1757 miles I traveled!!!  I will share with y’all one embarrassing thing that happened.  Not really embarrassing so much as just one of those “cringe” moments   Here’s the message I sent to a friend:

Oh, and I told JJ I love him - yikes!!! It was one of those weird things that just accidentally slipped out. You know how to some people you automatically say "I love you" when telling them goodbye? Well, that's exactly what happened. I was hugging him goodbye and said, "I love you. See you tomorrow." like it was an everyday occurrence - ugh! And the sad part is that I wasn't even drunk. My only saving grace (at least that I keep telling myself) is that I did the same thing to Todd the following night - hugged him goodbye and said, "I love you. Good to see you again." Geez! What I'm going to do with myself?  

LURKER?!?  MOI?!?!?

Reply with quote  #57 

Loved your review BH!! 

wish I was there with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you are indeed CORRECT when you

say AC gives the bestest hugs!!

thefollower

Reply with quote  #58 

It was awesome meeting up with modifab and there are some parts in there that wont be mentioned. haha

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter