Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
This is quick and easy, and works great if you want to have something stick to yer ribs worthy... I highly recommend the use of the slow cooker for this, but if you don't have one, remember that once everything is in the same pot, slow and low heat.... 

Venison Stew

Ingredients:

3 or 4 venison chops (Or 2 steaks, or part of a roast) – ALL fat & silver skin removed

3 or 4 nice sized potatoes (cubed)

2 cups baby carrots

Vegetables (corn, peas, etc.) to taste (frozen is better than canned)

Beef bouillion (cubes, liquid, powder...)

Salt & Pepper to taste

A few pinches (1/4 – 1/2 tsp.) of garlic powder

2 Bay leaves

Any other spice  you want to try…in small amounts. (dried oregano is nice)

To Cook:

Soak meat for 8 – 24 hours in milk (this will remove most of the “wild” taste, if you want it gone, as well as tenderize it to some degree)                * See note below *

Cut meat into small cubes, then coat with flour

Add olive oil and a few dabs of butter to cover bottom of frying pan with a small layer ) 1/4” or less deep) heat pan until butter is melted and oil is thinned some.

Cook meat in hot frying pan until done. You need to stir this a lot or the meat will burn. Remember there is no fat on the meat…

Place meat, potatoes, and vegetables into slow cooker.

Add 6 – 8 cups or water to frying pan (leave the leftovers from cooking the meat in there), along with enough beef boullion for that much water. Bring it to a boil, then slowly add flour to thicken. (no as thick as gravy, but not thin like soup)

Add sauce to slow cooker. Turn on high and cover. Stir once an hour for 2 hours, then turn cooker to low until potatoes are fully cooked.  Remove Bay leaves and serve. 

This should serve 5 or 6 people pretty easily.

***For those of you who aren't used to eating venison, I HIGHLY recommend soaking the meat in milk. Just put enough milk in a glass bowl or tupperware conatiner large enough to cover the meat, cover the container, and put it in the fridge for 8 - 24 hours. Any milk will work, but 2% or whole work best. Pour the milk out, pat the meat dry and go from there.***

As far as veggies go... I've used beans, corn, peas, broccoli, just about anything that might give it a different texture or slight flavor change. My kids like this one almost as much as Daddy does....

I'd add pics, but don't have any of it looking good right now....

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #2 

Wow slick that sounds like it could be real good. The only place I know of to get venison here are some meat markets but it's all frozen. Is that okay to use? Hell if I know where to get fresh.

Unregistered
Reply with quote  #3 
Clay, I'm shocked  you don't have one hangin' in the garage , ready to be butchered!  
Seriously though, frozen works fine. The only way I know how to get fresh is to kill it myself, but the fresh can only  last so long....about the only fresh meat we get from our hunting trips is tenderloins or maybe a few backstrap chops. The rest gets made into your basic cuts of meat (steaks, roasts, chops, ground up into burger) or made into sausage of some sort. All of which gets frozen for good eatin' at a later date.
And if you do have a store around that sells it, it's probably farm raised, which will have less of the "gamey" flavor that the ones I have in the freezer do. They get fed more like cattle, and haven't been eating cedar boughs and drinking swamp water their whole lives, so the meat is definitely sweeter.
I'll drop the tenderloin/backstrap roast recipe later. If you can buy those cuts, you'll love it! Heck, I've had people not believe me that they were eating venison when they tried it.
slick814

Reply with quote  #4 

How the heck did I post something without being signed in??????? I didn't even realise it until I went to edit that post.

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #5 
That's because some dodo brain forgot to set up the permissions for the new forum when created it. I might have to fire him. We'll see.

Thanks for pointing it out slick! I just changed it but the goddam dashboard for this forum is not exactly the easiest thing to navigate. It's like someone in a foreign country put it together or something. Hopefully I did it right. I've gotta scoot to a meeting but I'll check later today to see if I didn't screw it up or not!
TN gurl

Reply with quote  #6 

Slick, the stew sounds super yummy! We love deer meat down here!

slick814

Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks TN Gurl! We love it up here too. Well where I'm from originally, at least. It never ceaes to amaze me at how many folks in the twin cities have never had it. It's a way of life in the northern part of the state...(MN, that is...) but then again, we were more in touch with the world around us up there with all the lakes, woods and such. And as we all know, small town economies aren't the best. You learn to eat lots of deer, bear & fish...if you don't raise your own cattle, chickens, pigs, etc....heck even if you do.

Whereabouts in TN are ya from? I had a couple friends in the Air Force from Johnson City and Franklin areas I do believe it was... they always told me to come visit, but I never got down their way 'cept when I moved to North Carolina for a couple years. But that was just to go to Bristol for the races...

All that is
All that will be
TN gurl

Reply with quote  #8 

hey slick, i grew up eating deer meat, and my papaw raised his own cattle, chickens and pigs. We also caught our own fish too. You are right that the small towns don't always have the best  economies but they are the best places to live. We just moved away from Memphis last year. I hated living there the whole time. The conveniences are nice but you can't beat small town living. We now live in Arlington, a small town just North of Memphis. I grew up in Millington TN, during the years when the Navy base was booming.  It is nice here-it has it's pros and cons just like everywhere else. I enjoy the simpler way of life that small towns provide

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter