Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #21 

Thanks JTX!!

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #22 
GOOD GODDAM thanks for coming on with the setlist and your report notfadeaway!! Shit I wish I coulda been there. I wouldn't been able to sleep afterwards I'd be so fired up.

When I first read the setlist I thought, man--notfadeway was so wasted he put some songs down twice. THEN I read what you had to say and was like...ohhhhhh.

I hadn't thought about it before but it makes perfect sense. For songs that they want to be sure come out excellent they did twice. They can pick the best one, or edit the 2 together and all that post-production stuff. I wonder how many of the songs they'll be able to get on a dvd? Can they get 'em all or will they have to cut any?

I think it's a great setlist for a dvd. Obviously an emphasis on newer material but that's where the band is at. As much as I personally would love it, I don't see him putting Everybody's or White House on a live DVD. (Maybe the next one!) Sweet that Air is in there, and jookhouse and ho cake, I love that Ga Wa was played twice cause then there's sure to be some great action of Trube on the lap, JJ and Trube going at it in a battle of guitars on War is mind bending, and if BD hadn't been on the list then a riot probly woulda broke out.

Wonder if he did King Hummingbird twice because of the experience the other night where people wouldn't shut up while he played it?
fat-ass

Reply with quote  #23 
The guys were awesome and the venue was perfect for a live DVD. With a sold out crowd of 700, you are bound to have a few attention starved assholes that wouldn't give the band a break. Some folks (very few) were obviously not at all into the show and just wanted to make a scene by throwing shit on stage (glow sticks & a half empty beer). JJ did an good job of controlling his temper but was evident he was pissed at times. It is one thing to not care about the band and act like a fool at a concert, but when the director and the band both ask you to pull it together a particular way, there is no excuse in acting like an idiot.

JJ bailed halfway through King Hummingbird due to crowd volume. He surprisingly missed / stumbled on lyrics in Georgia Warhorse the first pass. However, as you see above he gave them both another go at the end.

Regardless, the DVD is going to be awesome and I feel lucky to have been a part of it. I believe I counted 7-8 cameras. That alone will be the best weapon to "idiot proof" the final cut. It was the best sounding show I have heard from the guys and they did the same set list, stories, and overall performance I saw in Charlotte on Thursday. However they did it with 3 times the energy in ATL. I assume the shows leading up to Saturday night were lower key rehearsals.

Again, cant wait for the DVD to share with those that have never seen them live.

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-ass
The guys were awesome and the venue was perfect for a live DVD. With a sold out crowd of 700, you are bound to have a few attention starved assholes that wouldn't give the band a break. Some folks (very few) were obviously not at all into the show and just wanted to make a scene by throwing shit on stage (glow sticks & a half empty beer). JJ did an good job of controlling his temper but was evident he was pissed at times. It is one thing to not care about the band and act like a fool at a concert, but when the director and the band both ask you to pull it together a particular way, there is no excuse in acting like an idiot.

JJ bailed halfway through King Hummingbird due to crowd volume. He surprisingly missed / stumbled on lyrics in Georgia Warhorse the first pass. However, as you see above he gave them both another go at the end.

Regardless, the DVD is going to be awesome and I feel lucky to have been a part of it. I believe I counted 7-8 cameras. That alone will be the best weapon to "idiot proof" the final cut. It was the best sounding show I have heard from the guys and they did the same set list, stories, and overall performance I saw in Charlotte on Thursday. However they did it with 3 times the energy in ATL. I assume the shows leading up to Saturday night were lower key rehearsals.

Again, cant wait for the DVD to share with those that have never seen them live.

Yeah some people have no respect. I experienced that Friday night and you got it last night. BUT I am glad he did it for all of ya'll later on. Can't wait for the DVD.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #25 
Thanks for the further review fat-ass. My wife and I were talking about venues just last nite and why they picked there over so many others. Our conclusion was that it must be a good venue for a live production. Wow 7-8 cameras--they should have excellent footage of the whole thing! I kinda figured the 3 shows I saw last weekend were warm ups. The setlists were nearly the same songs, different order. But wow if they put even more energy into it it's gonna be a killer DVD cause they brought it to Skippers. Course I've seen buffet tables bigger than Skippers stage so there's only so much energy they can have there without bringing the whole thing down.

I think that any more there are always dickheads no matter what. That's a shame. It's almost as if because the director asked them to be cool there are some people that something clicks in their head that says do the opposite. "oooh, they don't want people talking loud so I'll talk loud, ohhhh how bout I throw a beer bottle on stage..." You know the ones. Didn't you hate those people in high school? Sad thing is they ain't changed. And like you said fatass, if you ain't into the show then go hang at the bar or in the back or something.

Maybe the Georgia War lyric stumble was a case of nerves?  How was the overall vibe, were people generally into it and cooperative? How long was the show? Did the cameras interfere with any sitelines?
fat-ass

Reply with quote  #26 
The guys were no doubt focused on the production but I think the issue with Georgia War Horse was just a mistake from what we could tell.

Overall, the crowd was big time into it. The line was over two blocks long before doors opened. I am sure the crowd's involvement in "helping" JJ with they lyrics will be a big part of the DVD which we all know is part of the live experience.

They were using camera booms (2) stationed approximately 1/3 and 2/3 off the stage on either side of the room to get the flying in/ out/ over shots of the crowd and up towards the stage. Really felt like you were on a set of a movie. No site issues for me. one or two camera men on stage getting the close ups of the guys doing their work on their respective instruments, stationary cameras at the same locations as the booms, and think they had one in the balcony. Its going to be a top notch production from the looks of the money invested on shooting it.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #27 
That's good to hear fatass.

I mentioned to my trophy wife last nite what you said about GW and she said he did the same thing in Ft. Laud last weekend. I missed it but she said he stumble thru a lyric.

Man it indeed sounds like a major production. That's way cool. I think that's why they've waited until now to do something like this cause they wanted to have the  money and production talent to do it right. Yeah!!

Glad the overall crowd was into it; figured they would be. It's pretty damn exciting to be part of such an event.
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #28 
Sorry for not posting sooner, but I figured it's better late than never, right?

Here's my two cents about the Atlanta show: (OK, so it ended up being a little more than two cents)

*Like notfadeaway and fat-ass stated, it was awesome, and I'm SO glad I was able to be a part of it!

*I brought a first-timer, my cousin's husband, who had not even heard of Mofro until the week before - said he went on youtube to find out what all the fuss was about with this group that I'm obsessed with and kept talking about (personally I wouldn't say "obsessed" - enthusiastic and passionate sound better).  He loves music and thought they were great.  I emailed him and told him I was coming to the Atlanta show (he lives in ATL) and asked if wanted to tag along for the experience of a lifetime.

*We parked and went looking for a place to hang out and have a few beers.  I had never been to the Variety Playhouse, so when we passed by I asked to stop for a second to peek in.  Of course, all we could see was the lobby area.  They were playing a Mofro song on the outside speakers.  I said to Patrick, "Hey, that's actually one of their songs playing."  (ding, ding - lightbulb goes off) "HEY!  That's actually HIM singing!"  JJ was doing the soundcheck and it sounded awesome!  We stayed for the whole song.  This was a first for me, and I don't know why it was so exciting (it's not like we were invited in!) but it just was - something I'll remember for a long time.

*The primary thing I remember about the show was that it was HOT!!!  A little too crowded, and I think it was the lights that really got to me - they were blinding and radiating intense heat.  It didn't seem to bother too many other people (including the boy who was wearing a knit cap and a jacket - he made me hot just looking at him!)

*I really enjoyed Ponderosa - a lot - and would love to see them again (I had heard that they were just "OK")

*MF1 mentioned there was "sure to be some great action of Trube on the lap" and yes, there was!  I wanted an instant replay as it all happened so fast.  Someone posted a video, but I remember it differently (maybe it happened during a different song?).  Anyway, Trube was doing his thing and getting into the groove.  He started to "show out" but basically "fell out" instead.  He was on the floor, feet in the air, and his instrument hit the floor causing one of the knobs to fly off and roll across the stage.  His face was like "Oh, shit!" but he just laughed it off.  It was too funny!  
Hey - Keith Taylor Photography - do you remember this? (I was standing to your right)  You grabbed the knob and slid it back across the floor to Trube.

*Yes, JJ was obviously stressed - you could clearly see it on his face.  The whole King Hummingbird fiasco and then him trying to communicate with the sound guy about the guitar.  He kept glancing around nervously as he was singing and playing - you could tell he wanted everything to be "just right".  But soon after, he just closed his eyes and completely let loose.  He sang with every, and I mean every, ounce of his being - true JJ style.  I know y'all can picture it...  his eyes closed, mouth wide open, bent over at the waist, one hand holding the mic and the other a tightly clenched fist at his side - and singing the hell out of that song!  At one point I was afraid he would burst a blood vessel or damage a vocal chord, but he obviously knows what he's doing .  

*This next part is for the ladies (boys, no rolling of the eyes please ):  I was speaking to a girl while waiting in line outside about being right up front and how that's the only place to be (for me anyway).  She reminded me that "there's no such thing as being too close" when I was talking about having to strain my neck and look up in order to see JJ when he's standing directly above me (not to mentioning straining my eyes - whoa!).  I usually take this time to observe and enjoy the other guys.  Anyway, at one of the Jax shows he was so close that he accidentally kicked me a couple of times when his toes went over the edge of the stage (at least I hope it was an accident).  I didn't think he could get any closer than that, but at the ATL show there were times when he seemed... um, a little "up close and personal".  I'm hesitant to say, "Well, he certainly can't get any closer than that" because I'm afraid of what comes next.  On second thought...

*Over all, the show was fantastic (as always) and I can't wait for the next one!!!  Oh, and even with AC's phenomenal skills, I still somehow ended up dancing to the beat of my own drum 
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #29 

Love the review bad habit!!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #30 

an absolutely FANtastic review!  Loved your description of JJ belting out King Hummingbird, and yes I can picture him very vividly in my mind, thanks for the visual!!

milesgone

Reply with quote  #31 
bad habit u nailed it.    it is a stressful thing for JJ.    trying so  hard to get it just right, but then the crowd does not  comply or  the one thing u missed. is the director admitting he didn't start the clicker  (not sure what they call those things)

He DID start it for the long encore when JJ recut some songs and STILL in the back on the right were 5 people jabbering away    jeez folks.    go HOME.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #32 
That's a great review Bad Habit. And absolutely better late than never. Hell I took about 9 days to post my skippers review from last month! And especially when someone can come on and make me feel what it was like to be at the show. You put me in the action with ur review.

Quote:
JJ was doing the soundcheck and it sounded awesome!  We stayed for the whole song.  This was a first for me, and I don't know why it was so exciting (it's not like we were invited in! 
  Me and the TW have seen maybe a half dozen soundchecks. If u got to see or hear one it is a GREAT experience. The first time i sat there with my mouth open the whole time. It was like...somebody pinch me! Each time has been very special. And it's pure happenstance for it. It's not like they do it at a set time and usually you can't get in or even see thru a window. I mean, we go to an avg of 15 shows a year. We've been to somewhere around 55 shows since late 06. We've only been to like 5 or 6 soundchecks. So when I say happenstance I really mean it!
FireFly

Mofrofans.com Interplanetary

Ambassador

Reply with quote  #33 
I think jj should hire me as his 'noise nazi' , if ya ain't shuttin the fuck up, i'm throwin your ass OUT. no jj for you!!!!
I'm going to recommend that to him next time, he's gonna laugh!

( funny quotes from rombello )
princessrayray

Reply with quote  #34 
Awesome review!  I agree with everything you guys (or gals?) have said about the show, and other than it just being amazingly awesome ... I will always remember that it was SUPER hot in there!  We were lucky enough to snag some seats in the main area (far enough back to see over the people standing and yet close enough to see everything!) Once they came out, there was no sitting down again, but they served well holding our coats (it was SO freaking cold outside that night, remember?) 

And Ponderosa was very, very good!  I laughed out loud when they took the stage and I asked my boyfriend what kind of dirty hippie show did he bring me to.  Until...I heard them sing.  They rocked!  (And they rocked again a little later at the Handlebar show in SC.)  I managed to snag autographs from all the guys from Ponderosa, as well as a photo with them.  They were just some good 'ole Gawga boys...

The highlight of my night, really, was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:15 am, as I'm freezing my ass off, standing by the tour bus, and I got to meet JJ.  I just wanted a quick autograph and he stood and chatted with me for like 15 mins.  I knew he had to be exhausted, but he stood there talking, like we were best friends.  And gave me the most enthusiastic hug when I asked if I could have a pic made with him.  Normally, when you get your pic made with someone, it's kinda fake....not with JJ.  He was so geniune and it really, truly made me a fan, above and beyond the fact that Mofro is like, for sure, the best music on the planet. 

♪♫ I just want to feel like I do when I'm with you, It's a beautiful world.
The darkness, it ain't so deep, So I reach and I reach and I reach, Higher, Set me free ♫♪
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #35 
I love the infusion of enthusiam brought to the board by new members!
Welcome princessrayray!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #36 

I can feel the love!!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter