Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #21 
That post was getting long. I'll use this one to give a tad more insight into where things have been/are going. It kinda addresses your comments regarding JJ playing vs others.

Two years ago JJ tooks his keys off the stage. (Scone was still with the band then, of course using his own Hammond.) They've not been back since. At the same time JJ starting playing lead guitar and pretty much did on every song. But at the same time as that JJ started taking on much more of a lead role and that's continued more since. I think JJ's direction is to be more known as a singer/songwriter than a player.

When Daryl left to start his own band last year and Trube moved to guitar it was evident that JJ was relinquishing some of his guitar playing. JJ is singing, dancing (more than ever!), playing tambourine or harp, and playing less guitar. (Farrell uses JJ's keys.) He's become more and more of the frontman. That's not to say that I believe he won't change things up in the future. JJ keeps us guessing and that's a good thing!

Evidence: Georgia Warhorse. He plays all the guitar parts. I don't ever see him not playing guitar on his records, in my opinion. Does he play some keys on GAWA too? I can't remember.

I remember JJ telling some of us a while back, and I think I've read this somewhere, that he prefers not to sing and play at the same time. He steadfastly believes that you can excel at one or another--but not both--at the same time. He prefers, when he can, to put the guitar down when he sings but of course that only works in studio. He cited some examples (like my fried brain is supposed to remember them like a year later) of great singers who didn't/don't play while they sing. He's great at citing shit like that!  Sooooo I think what we're seeing now is where things will keep heading.
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #22 
originally posted by MofroFan1
     "great singers who didn't/don't play while they sing"

Clay, one notable example - BB King
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #23 

Yeaboy dave you got that right!

milesgone

Reply with quote  #24 
the prefers not to sing and play at the same time.

That's a shame,  but he is the boss, and I would agree if it was like harmonica/singing/guitar.   that's TOO much.  Anyway we just love to hear him just alone.. Sing with acoustic guitar..   I understand where he is coming from and it took him a long time to learn how to not wear his voice out over multiple shows. 
Glad to meet someone older than me, I am the OLD guy on jambase :/

thanks again

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #25 
Yeah. I do think he was probly talking more electric than acoustic. He's got that 6 week solo acoustic tour coming up. Too bad he's not bringing it to Fla or a lil closer to Chat!

I'll call out the old guys...the SENIORS of the board (I mean that with utmost respect)...that would be the one and only professor Jimbo, and a seldom ever heard from Cool Breeze. He and his lovely wife travel to a lot of the same shows we're at and they're big fans from right here in the Tampa area. I was talking to him at Skippers recently and he proudly told me he's 74 and feeling good. How cool is that? (I told him I was 51 but felt like I was 74.) He's only posted twice on the board but I'll bet he's out there. Maybe this'll chide him to come on. (His wife is hot y'all. JJ always reaching down and gives her a pick. Yep, they ride the rail right up front with the whipper snappers!)
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #26 

I was fortunate enough to meet Cool Breeze at Skipper's for the Saturday show.  What a super nice guy!  We talked for a bit and he said that his wife wanted to meet me and she was a sweetheart, gave her a big ole hug!  Here is a pic of Cool Breeze (in the yellow hat that JJ wore while he sang a song at the windjammer last year) surrounded by the ladies.  Not sure who the other dude is.

Giggles - Lil Mofro Ho - Sunshine - Cool breeze - Mrs. Pilchard - KellyKO

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
SoFlaDave

Reply with quote  #27 
As I am also one of the oldest members of the board I pretty much live by one of the quotes of Satchel Paige (legendary baseball player who last pitched in 1965 when he was 60 years old).

"how old would you be if you didn't know how old you are"

I believe JJ's songs appeal to music fans of ALL ages
giggles

Director of Laughs,
Levity, and Love

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaDave

I ♥ both sentiments SoFlaDave!

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaDave
As I am also one of the oldest members of the board I pretty much live by one of the quotes of Satchel Paige (legendary baseball player who last pitched in 1965 when he was 65 years old).

how old would I be if I didn't know how old I was? easy 24!! Lord knows I act like it at times, lol!!!

helix77

Reply with quote  #30 

Another old guy here. I personally don't care if JJ ever plays guitar. Obviously when he's solo he has to. But when he's with the band, if he thinks he sings better when not playing, well I'm all for his voice. That voice is GOLD, keep it that way JJ. I find Daryl's playing has more of a signature than Trube's, more distinct. But I don't have a problem with Trube's playing.

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgone
I heard he is doing more shows other than ATL for this video and then pick his favorites?  I don't know how many other shows will be shot???
ATL was good, very good, seeing smallie on bass is killer. I have one tiny bitch..  sighs**  The new guitar player really sux.  I would be much happier if JJ played those parts himself.  Daryl was more skilled than this new guy.  Great show though, great sound, crowd not so cooperative, after he "ended" the show he came back out and re-cut some of the songs that got ruined by crowd noise.  I can't wait to see him again.   Does anyone agree with me that one day JJ will be as popular as Taj Mahal?   I truly think this man is going all the way to the top.

Yeah, his lead guitar style isn't mine, but he doesn't suck.  He wouldn't be up there if he wasn't any good.

Hance is a little more patient and clearly plays far less which is a good thing and this guy from the Greyhounds is more of a rock/hard rock style where he squeezes a lot of notes into each bar.  

I will say this, though: JJ has come a long, long way with guitar. Agreed completely on how his playing really ties in well. He doesn't rush the notes.  Really good stuff.

You can tell he's gotten a lot better through the years.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #32 

On the DVD release...I heard 2 rumors today. One, they aren't going to be shooting any more shows. They got great stuff from the Atl show. Two, release date looks like Apr at earliest and Jun at latest.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

On the DVD release...I heard 2 rumors today. One, they aren't going to be shooting any more shows. They got great stuff from the Atl show. Two, release date looks like Apr at earliest and Jun at latest.

that is super news Sir!  I expected "later this year" to mean like the Fall.  Will they be available at shows or just through JJGrey.com?

Dispatch Ninja

Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:

:-) great news.  April would be great.

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #35 

Quote:

that is super news Sir!  I expected "later this year" to mean like the Fall.  Will they be available at shows or just through JJGrey.com?

I gived u all I got. That's all i've heard and don't hold me to it cause like i said they were rumors.

Sunshine

Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:

Quote:

I gived u all I got. That's all i've heard and don't hold me to it cause like i said they were rumors.

thefollower

Reply with quote  #37 

Sounds good to me.  Will you all post on here when and where we can get it as soon as it is available please?

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #38 

You can count on it my man!

thefollower

Reply with quote  #39 

Thank you siiiiir

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter