Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #1 

I remember coming across this video about 6 months after Our Boys found me, and I view it ever so often and am always amazed at the emotion JJ feels and puts into his songs.

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #2 
I wish he would play this live more often.  Of course there are so many he needs to play more often.
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mofro ho
I wish he would play this live more often.  Of course there are so many he needs to play more often.

totally agree  LMH, but I think certain songs like this and "Tragic" are very personal and maybe too emotional to have on multiple setlists (just my uneducated guess), but must have been important enough to JJ to record a song about. 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

I down with y'all. On Palestine and Tragic are 2 songs I would love to hear more often. They are great songs.

Sunny ur theory is a good one. I think it also has to do with so many songs to choose from now. With 5 albums there are now approx 75 originally recorded songs. That doesn't include others that make the setlist at times like Harp and Drums, Seminole Wind, Stagger Lee, Tupelo Honey, and lots more. He's probably got 100 songs from which to make a setlist.

I looked back on the setlists and couldn't find in the last year where they played Palastine or Tragic.

From what I've been told before, about half the songs on a setlist from any artist is going to be material from their latest album. Then there are the standards like Lochloosa, Ho Cake, Junior, On Fire, and others that they mix into most shows, and the pickins get even more slim. That leaves 5-7 songs left to pick from the first 4 albums, if they don't play any covers.

Soooo...that's my 2 cents worth which is actually worth about a penny. I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff. I just try to pick up little bits and pieces and try to put them together to resemble a finished puzzle. Sunny's explanation is as good as mine; I don't want to come off as a know-it-all (even tho--as I often tell my trophy wife--I do.)

harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #5 
This video got to me playing this song on my guitar. Love it. Haven't never heard him do it at a show though.
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MofroFan1

Soooo...that's my 2 cents worth which is actually worth about a penny. 

Actually with gas prices the way they are, it's worth less than that! 
lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #7 
Mr. D, I'll take your 2 cents and raise you a nickel!  I wish JJ would change up the set lists more from  day to day ,week to week.  I know DT said on another thread that even though JJ sang almost the same setlist on 2 consecutive nights in Cali, he felt with the stories etc they were still different and unique. (Hope I didn't butcher your thoughts too much DT)  I agree but at the same time I want to hear different stuff if I am lucky enough to see a show 2 nights in a row or twice in a week!, Allowing for the constraints JJ is under while composing a setlist... I just wish he would add in some older stuff more than he does.  He could take Slow, hot and sweaty out of the rotation... that wouldn't hurt my feelings none.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #8 

And I'll raise you a dime. I agree. If I had my druthers it'd be Orange Blossoms.

lil mofro ho

Reply with quote  #9 
I'm kinda partial to OB, cause that was my first MOFRO song.  Heard it on the radio and that was it... haven't looked back since! 
TN_Cracka

Reply with quote  #10 
I can't see the link to Sunny's video since I'm at work....f'ing I.T. police, I assume it's On Palestine. To me, the video that shows JJ really pouring his soul in to a song is the one where Almira covered Lochloosa, it was a radio program in KY. That version of "Sun is Shining Down" is fantastic. Makes me want to call my granny and tell her I love her.

#1 sign a band is bad ass.....It is a struggle to pick a song or two that you wouldn't mind being dropped from rotation. I'm with ya Clay, OB and Slow, Hot aren't some of my favorites, but they sell tickets to the other gender. So, I can see why they are staples in a setlist.  Shit....he could play Florida, Jookhouse, Junior, Wrong Side, and Stagger Lee every time as far as I'm concerned. Didn't mean to leave out Nare Sugar, Blackwater....ok. Sign #2 a band is bad ass, you want the setlist to go on forever.

I think I just decided on my Friday evening commute home.....Country Ghetto. That album gives me a chance to work on my harmonica skills....and entertain fellow drivers in the next lane.

Reply with quote  #11 
We like Palestine too.  But don't know what it is about.  Have tried and
tried to figure it out.  Can anyone shed some light?  I'm with Slow, Hot
and Sweaty on the setlist.  Back when y'all were voting on the sexiest
song?  S,H&S isn't sexy - IT IS SEX!  TMI

Admin
Reply with quote  #12 
That's a good question BD. JJ has said before that it's spelled Palastine (last part sounds like steen.) But on maps it says Palenstine. It's a lake about 30ish miles from JJ's.

I have to go from memory here, so take this for what it ain't. Back at the turn of the century there was a family that lived in the woods around the lake. Timber barons came in and started acquiring land but the landowner refused to sell. One day while they were at church the barons came and burned their house down. So the father/husband picked up a gun to go after them. The rest of the song is kinda self explanatory as the barons hung him.  His family left for Olustee and Glen St. Mary, both small towns (still) a few miles north near the GA border.

MAP

Hopefully I haven't butchered that too bad.

As for SH&S, I'm gonna tell your hubby what you said.

Brighter Day

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks a heap Clay.  That did shed some light fer sure on the subject.
Hubby appreciated it too and the map really helped.  Now, I am gonna
go back and listen to the song again.  

Admin
Reply with quote  #14 

Ur welcome hon. I always do the same thing. It's like re-discovering the song.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter