Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 

I was surfin the interweb this weekend and came across a Bonaroo review of sorts...wuz lookin at some of the videos/listening to links and came across Alabama Shakes.... I had ta go str8 to iTunes (damn I hate iTunes) and download what they had.... Hard to describe, but I will say that Brittany Howard is definitely magnetic to watch on stage and has a unique voice. They are worth checking out, if y'all hadn't heard them already.  

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Bad Habit

Traveling Ambassador of Goodwill
Reply with quote  #2 
I just recently "discovered" them as well and LOVE THEM!!!
Lochloosa

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the heads-up.  They sound pretty good and have samples at their website.

As to how to avoid iTunes, they also have regular mp3 downloads from Amazon, which does not regulate what you can do with the files after downloading (i.e. you can put them on all your devices.)

Admin
Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks slick. Good to see ya man.

uhollis

Alumni/Dean/Assoc Professor,
Blackwater U

Reply with quote  #5 
have y'all been under a rock for the last 10 months?
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #6 

Shit hollis I been under a rock for the last ten years! But leave my brain outta this.

thefollower

Reply with quote  #7 
The Alabama Shakes are from Athens Alabama which is right up the road from where I grew up.  They have a good sound, love her voice.  Also pretty interesting how they started.
slick814

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
have y'all been under a rock for the last 10 months?

Yeah... under a rock for the last 10 months would be about normal, Hollis. Y'all seem to get the good new bands before we do up here. Might be cuz they're all coming from the South or something, but somehow it seems that we don't get 'em here until they're been around for a bit. At least it wasn't until they had some big hits or something.
Either that or my new music radar has been down.

Good to be seen, MF1... been a weird spring around my house. between vehicle issues (at one point, I had 2 with bad timing chains), my oldest graduating High School a couple weeks ago, my laptop dying, and a few other things, it's not been a good time to get online and hang with y'all. But... things are gettin' there, so it's not all bad.

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #9 
Well slick, under the circumstances then it's particularly good to see you. Damn TWO timing chains and a dead laptop. What'd you do...walk under a ladder while crossing the path of a black cat, stepping on crack and walking straight into a mirror and breaking it? At least there's some good mixed in there...congrats to the graduate and the proud papa.
slick814

Reply with quote  #10 
Not sure exactly what I did... but karma was kicking my arse for a bit... I think maybe the woman I was dating earlier this spring put a curse on me or something? That might could be it. She was kinda witchy.
Thanks for the well wishes. Rhiannon is a great kid, and I was proud as heck to see her get this chapter of life completed... now on to the school that costs $$... Zoology major, with a focus on big cats.  Scares me, to be honest. She's 5'0", weighs 95 pounds and wants to work with lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards and such. Hopes to do field research.... glad I taught her how to shoot a rifle.
 most other things are getting better too.  got one vehicle going, the other is close, laptop parts are on the way... and JJ is gona be here in just over a month.
Tix are sitting in an envelope, just waiting to see the light of day. And the best part of that is that I get to take BOTH my daughters this time. The 7 year old asks almost daily when we get to go... and I've exposed her to some Robert Randolph in the meantime, so she's looking forward to seeing him as well.

All that is
All that will be
slick814

Reply with quote  #11 

Lochloosa - thanks for the pointer... I forget that Amazon sells mp3's and not just the whole disc. I'll have to spend my $ there instead of paying the fuit company!

All that is
All that will be
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter