Follow @MofroFans
JJ Grey & Mofro Fansite Message Forums

Author   Comment  
slick814

Reply with quote  #1 
Well, it was freaking COLD outside, but the Varsity was HOT & STEAMY last night.

Daryl did a great groovin' set. It was a bit short, but still, the man can play hisself some geetar!!!! He said he's playing here again end of March (this time in the famous 1st Avenue's 7th Street Entry). May have to find my way down there for it.

JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound got the crowd jumping. If you haven't seen these guys, make it a point to if they get to your neighborhood.... high energy soul with a dash of punkiness. JC Brooks has some pipes, is electric onstage and the band is solid as a rock behind him. They also are pretty tight in the harmony department, as well as audience participation. I had to buy their CD after their show, it was so good.

NOW..... For the Main Event -

JJ & MOFRO TORE IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best show I've seen, bar none (ANY band, ANY venue). Great mix of old & new songs, and other than AC (who looked like he was fighting a cold or something?), everybody looked highly energized. Not that he didn't, it just looked like he was a little under the weather. As the show went on, he seemed to perk up a bit, though.

Here's the setlist -

Six Ways From Sunday - a surprise starter. Got everyone going right from the get go.
A Woman - The sing along begins... LOUDLY
Country Ghetto - always awesome
Brighter Days (Chillbumps on that one... 3rd time I've seen it live, and definitely my favorite one of the three!)
Ybor City - Honestly, I've never really been into this one on CD, but live, it's perfection
Dirtfloorcracker - sweetness.
Georgia Warhorse - JJ , I hope your Granny is feeling better.
Hide & Seek - it felt different this time around. not sure why, but it just seemed better than last time.
I Believe (In Everything) - JJ told the story behind the song, and even though I knew what it was about, to hear him tell it just drove it home even more. Still one of my favorite MOFRO songs, and always will be
Everything Good Is Bad - I sing this in my turck almost daily, my voice was hoarse when it was done
Slow, Hot & Sweaty - the crowd was really grooving to this. Seemed to me like there were a few couples who were gonna live it out later on.
Orange Blossoms - fun and a favorite
Ho Cake - FUN X20
Sweetest Thing I hope the taper got good quality. I'd love to play it for my youngest. She says its her song.

Encore:
Lochloosa - I can never hear this enough. Farrell coming out first after the encore and starting on the keys is beautiful
On Fire - Excellent way to end the night.

A couple of notes - I noticed JJ was playing a Gold Top Les Paul... not his normal SG. Not a big thing, just found it interesting.
And they saved the intros for after it was over. Kind of a cool way to go out.

There was ALOT of back and forth between JJ & the crowd. I have a few pics of him pointing the mic at the crowd as we all sang along at top volume.
A couple of times you could hear the crowd singing louder than JJ, and in that setting, it HAD to be loud onstage as well.

Honestly, I'm a bit speechless right now. It was just that damn good!
My friend Sarah had a blast, and she had never heard MOFRO before tonight.  She said on the way home that it was the best show she'd ever seen, and since she's not one to sugar coat stuff, I'll take it as a good thing!

THEN, after the show, we BOTH got setlists, and JJ was hanging around the stage talking to people, signing things, and taking pics, so we got them signed and got a pic with him. (I look pale for some reason, so be warned if I post that one).
Hey! -  I'm still batting 1000 on setlists, and have 2 signed. I'm gettin' a good collection going. Hopefully my 6 year old daughter won't try to claim this one.

Sunny - I talked to AC as we were on the way out, and told him to look for you tomorrow - he said he'd tell ya I said hey.

I'll post some pics, etc. later on. Right now, I need to try to get to sleep. My truck decided that -10 is too cold and died on me on the way home.... ended up calling my brother (thank God he was at work and only a mile away), who had one of his co-workers swing by on his way home to see if he could help (they're diesel mechanics, so they have a bit more know how than I do on some of that stuff). Unfortunately, we couldn't get it started and I had to leave it sitting on a side street til morning. Might have messed with it some more, but at 2:30 A.M., it was just too cold to hang around after an hour of trying.  The three of us talked about it and think it may have either broken a timing chain or slipped a tooth on the timing gear, which would explain the noise I heard just before it died, and the fact that it won't fire now... wish me luck.  

All that is
All that will be
All we have is each other
Lumberingox

Reply with quote  #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick814
Well, it was freaking COLD outside, but the Varsity was HOT & STEAMY last night.

Daryl did a great groovin' set. It was a bit short, but still, the man can play hisself some geetar!!!! He said he's playing here again end of March (this time in the famous 1st Avenue's 7th Street Entry. May have to find my way down there for it.

JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound got the crowd jumping. If you haven't seen these guys, make it a point to if they get to your neighborhood.... high energy soul with a dash of punkiness. JC Brooks has some pipes, is electric onstage and the band is solid as a rock behind him. They also are pretty tight in the harmony department, as well as audience participation. I had to buy their CD after their show, it was so good.

NOW..... For the Main Event -

JJ & MOFRO TORE IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best show I've seen, bar none (ANY band, ANY venue). Great mix of old & new songs, and other than AC (who looked like he was fighting a cold or something?), everybody looked highly energized. Not that he didn't, it just looked like he was a little under the weather. As the show went on, he seemed to perk up a bit, though.

Here's the setlist -

Six Ways From Sunday - a surprise starter. Got everyone going right from the get go.
A Woman - The sing along begins... LOUDLY
Country Ghetto - always awesome
Brighter Days (Chillbumps on that one... 3rd time I've seen it live, and definitely my favorite one of the three!)
Ybor City - Honestly, I've never really been into this one on CD, but live, it's perfection
Dirtfloorcracker - sweetness.
Georgia Warhorse - JJ , I hope your Granny is feeling better.
Hide & Seek - it felt different this time around. not sure why, but it just seemed better than last time.
I Believe (In Everything) - JJ told the story behind the song, and even though I knew what it was about, to hear him tell it just drove it home even more. Still one of my favorite MOFRO songs, and always will be
Everything Good Is Bad - I sing this in my turck almost daily, my voice was hoarse when it was done
Slow, Hot & Sweaty - the crowd was really grooving to this. Seemed to me like there were a few couples who were gonna live it out later on.
Orange Blossoms - fun and a favorite
Ho Cake - FUN X20
Sweetest Thing I hope the taper got good quality. I'd love to play it for my youngest. She says its her song.

Encore:
Lochloosa - I can never hear this enough. Farrell coming out first after the encore and starting on the keys is beautiful
On Fire - Excellent way to end the night.

A couple of notes - I noticed JJ was playing a Gold Top Les Paul... not his normal Gretsch. Not a big thing, just found it interesting.
And they saved the intros for after it was over. Kind of a cool way to go out.

There was ALOT of back and forth between JJ & the crowd. I have a few pics of him pointing the mic at the crowd as we all sang along at top volume.
A couple of times you could hear the crowd singing louder than JJ, and in that setting, it HAD to be loud onstage as well.

Honestly, I'm a bit speechless right now. It was just that damn good!
My friend Sarah had a blast, and she had never heard MOFRO before tonight.  She said on the way home that it was the best show she'd ever seen, and since she's not one to sugar coat stuff, I'll take it as a good thing!

THEN, after the show, we BOTH got setlists, and JJ was hanging around the stage talking to people, signing things, and taking pics, so we got them signed and got a pic with him. (I look pale for some reason, so be warned if I post that one).
Hey! -  I'm still batting 1000 on setlists, and have 2 signed. I'm gettin' a good collection going. Hopefully my 6 year old daughter won't try to claim this one.

Sunny - I talked to AC as we were on the way out, and told him to look for you tomorrow - he said he'd tell ya I said hey.

I'll post some pics, etc. later on. Right now, I need to try to get to sleep. My truck decided that -10 is too cold and died on me on the way home.... ended up calling my brother (thank God he was at work and only a mile away), who had one of his co-workers swing by on his way home to see if he could help (they're diesel mechanics, so they have a bit more know how than I do on some of that stuff). Unfortunately, we couldn't get it started and I had to leave it sitting on a side street til morning. Might have messed with it some more, but at 2:30 A.M., it was just too cold to hang around after an hour of trying.  The three of us talked about it and think it may have either broken a timing chain or slipped a tooth on the timing gear, which would explain the noise I heard just before it died, and the fact that it won't fire now... wish me luck.  

Sweet deal slick.. Looking forward to tonight.. I kicked off my 24 hr marathon day here about an hour and a half ago.. Think I passed ya on the way to work this morn .. Cramming 2 days into 10 hrs to allow for recovery time!!
Sunshine

Welcoming CommitteeDirector of Happiness
Reply with quote  #3 

hell of a review slick!!! just awessome!! 

heading out shortly for the airport 

In a heartbeat, worlds are born
 In a heartbeat, worlds collide"
slick814

Reply with quote  #4 

Here's a few of the pics I took....  If anybody wants to look at the rest, they're here: http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/582198759TjnaAN  Or go to http://community.webshots.com/user/slick814/albums/most-recent  All the pics from last night as well as JJ solo,  and Bayfront Blues Fest shots as well. And a few other things....some fishing pics, that sort of stuff... 

Attached Images
Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_033.JPG, Views: 17, Size: 625.30 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_048.JPG, Views: 14, Size: 963.80 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_001.JPG, Views: 13, Size: 2.39 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_070.JPG, Views: 17, Size: 2.82 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_071.JPG, Views: 36, Size: 2.73 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_019.JPG, Views: 12, Size: 1.12 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_027.JPG, Views: 13, Size: 1000.95 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_005.JPG, Views: 11, Size: 1.25 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_008.JPG, Views: 11, Size: 2.56 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_030.JPG, Views: 10, Size: 765.40 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_036.JPG, Views: 11, Size: 1.10 MB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_039.JPG, Views: 9, Size: 725.42 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_043.JPG, Views: 13, Size: 895.82 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_047.JPG, Views: 12, Size: 271.18 KB

Name: JJ_Grey_Varsity_Theater_1-18-2012_067.JPG, Views: 13, Size: 745.09 KB

All that is
All that will be

Delerious Tyme

Moderator, Honorary Alumni/AssocProfessor Blackwater U
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the review and pictures slick!  Sounds like it was a great time!  Art was tweeting about how cold it was in Minnesota, but it sounds as if it warmed up when the guys hit the stage and brought the heat! 

And to answer your question on JJ's guitar, he's had that Gold Top Les Paul for almost 6 months now.  I think he first got it around August of last year?  I talked to him about it back then and asked about it.  He said Gibson made it/gave it to him.  He likes it alot.  Still has the 4 SG's, (black, red, white, faded wood color) but is obviously using the Les Paul full time now.  His SG's are pretty sweet, but hard to top that Les Paul! 

There's no reason why, 'cause Heaven knows

I'm that moment when you finally let go...

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
-Sir Art Edmaiston of Troy, TN
3nail

Reply with quote  #6 
Awesome review, setlist, and pictures! Thanks for sharing.
slick814

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks 3nail. Always wonder if I'm just ramblin'....

DT - Love the Les Paul, its damn near impossible to beat the tone and depth they have. I just hadn't even seen a pic of it up til Wednesday night. Cool to know Gibson is taking care of him!

All that is
All that will be
harmonicasp20

Reply with quote  #8 
Killer review slick! Sounds like one heck of a night-except for your truck breaking down of course.
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #9 
Here is another review and pictures from this show...

http://www.reviler.org/2012/01/20/photos-jj-grey-and-mofro-at-the-varsity-theater-11812/

"Two kinds of people in this world:  Those that love Greyhounds and those that lie."
slick814

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Killer review slick! Sounds like one heck of a night-except for your truck breaking down of course.

Yeah, it was... as far as the truck goes, it's been giving me some minor issues lately anyway, so it was due for good going over. I just didn't plan on having to take half the motor apart, which is what it's looking like right now. Oh well, at least I have my daughter's car to take over til I can get it done...  She's not thrilled, but she'll get over it.

DT - Those pics on the link.. Dude must have had a heck of a camera! DANG... awesome shots on there!!!! 

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #11 
Those are awesome pics on the link DT. Thanks! And that photo of you, slick, and your friend and JJ is EXCELLENT. That's a keeper. I even like your hat (sorta.) Great review. And you ain't rambling. After a show I got so much energy I could go out and do a marathon (in my hover round). If ain't nobody wanna read it they ain't gotta right? I just now had time to, cuz I didn't want to only give it a skim, but I always take the time to read everyone's reviews (except for DT's) even if I ain't got a chance to comment on them. It's fun to see how much fun others have had!

MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #12 
BTW, based on the pic of you you're not near as ugly as DT.
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
slipped a tooth on the timing gear

Happened to me one time. Ended up having to get a goddam root canal.

slick814

Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:

Quote:

OUCH. That had ta hurt!. And thanks for the compliment... I think? I've never seen DT, so not being as ugly as him might not be as good as I might could think? 

All that is
All that will be
Delerious Tyme

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OUCH. That had ta hurt!. And thanks for the compliment... I think? I've never seen DT, so not being as ugly as him might not be as good as I might could think? 

Slick, nevermind Clay, they are still working on trying find a prescription that will help him see better.  When you are THAT old, your vision ain't like it use to be, and for Clay, I'm talking back around the time of the Crusades.  I've been told by many that I am quite the looker, so I guess you should consider that a compliment from Pre-Historic Clay!  Carry on...

slick814

Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Slick, nevermind Clay, they are still working on trying find a prescription that will help him see better.  When you are THAT old, your vision ain't like it use to be, and for Clay, I'm talking back around the time of the Crusades.  I've been told by many that I am quite the looker, so I guess you should consider that a compliment from Pre-Historic Clay!  Carry on...

Thanks DT - sometimes I forget that Clay is as old as the dirt he is named after... or is it the other way around? Maybe Lasik would get his eyes to the point where glasses might could help him?

All that is
All that will be
MofroFan1

Admin
Reply with quote  #17 

Taking notes boys, taking notes. As soon as I can get my desk cleared then y'all are in some serious trouble.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This site is dedicated to Jim "Craven Moore" Jagau, known and loved around the world as the biggest and most dedicated JJ Grey & Mofro fan ever. RIP friend. We miss you.

JJ Grey and Mofro recorded shows on the Live Music Archive

original message board

JJ interviews/show and CD reviews

old info but good no less

Site and goddam profanity rules  © Copyright 2008-2010 mofrofans.com and its assigns and entities; Worldwide Rights Reserved.   This site is not affiliated in any way with JJ Grey & Mofro, Alligator Records, Fog City Records, Madison House Management, JJ Grey, Mofro Productions Inc,, or any other entity.   This website is protected by U.S. and international laws regarding copyright protection, including site design, text, and all images.  This site is run from Tampa, FL, USofA.  All photographs are property of this website and its assigns and entities and are copyrighted by JJ Grey and Mofro.  They cannot be used without express permission.  No permission will be granted for photo rights for commercial purposes.  The photos on this site are expressly for recreational use.   All information on this site is known to be correct but site owner makes no guarantees. The information is gathered and presented to the best of our ability but may not be accurate.  We do our best to present this as a bona-fide fan site, not a gossip site.

tumblr counter